What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frukyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If ppl cannot wait for the release of WIN version, u can VMWARE OSX LION following tutorial(s) posted on this thread earlier. It's time consuming (1-2 hrs the whole process) bcz u need to get Lion VMDK installer (+4.3GB), VMWare (0.5 GB) and OSX Lion VMW files (all links provided on the tutorial). Install VMWARE >>> Run VMAUnlocker >>> Run VMW machine >>> install OSX Lion >>> Connect device >>> run Absinthe. If I did it everyone can do it because I'm not much techy, but I wanted the JB ASAP and with patience and time I got it done. SO STOP ASKING same question, sit down and do it the hard way or sit and wait.
CLI tool is good and my two cents to facilitate the install; shift and right click CLI folder and select open command from here, this way cmd.exe will start from appropriate folder. To limit the possibility of errors turn off UAC during JB.

Search on utube for "[Tutorial] How To Install Mac OS X Lion 10.7 Retail On Windows PC Using VMware Boot Disk" this worked great for me. Avoid .exe or .iso since it needs daemon tools or/and other tweaks.
[h=1][/h]

Last edited:

EmilRonnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now jailbroken with the cmd-windows-way... Actually very easy...
Is there a tweak which make me able to put the stock apps(which cant be moved into folders) into folders?
Thanks for the jailbreak - and for the help!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

daffie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just rebooted my JB-en ipad and suddenly everythings screwed up!!!

All the icons are 50% smaller, there is no icon dock on the bottom, swipe for notifications will fill up the screen completely.

I can start Cydia, but it will show up in very small iphone-like format screen...and no way to uninstall Cydia apps or do anything!!! Finger swipes are not registered.

Reboot didn't solve this.

Of course I checked before installing Cydia apps if they are compatible with ios5...from this list (Ios5 compatible in blue) : Ultimate List of Jailbreak Tweaks

This is a screenshot of the issue :

IMG_0007.PNGhttp://www.ipadforums.net/attachmen...-official-ipad2-jailbreak-thread-img_0008.png

It seems like this problem that is mentioned here : Weird Small Screen Bug after Jailbreak | iPod touch, iPad, and iPhone forums | iFans

EDIT :

I have solved this very hard and persistent issue finally after a couple of hours :) Here's the solution :

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/44596-official-ipad2-jailbreak-thread-94.html#post424114

Maybe it will help others with the same problem....

Last edited:

dn1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow that was fast

Jailbroke my iPad 2 using the Mac version of Absinthe. I was on 4.3.3, and rather than have iTunes try to back everything up (which takes forever and only works half of the time) I decided to just restore to 5.0.1 as a new device. That went pretty quickly since I wasn't trying to save anything, and I didn't have anything on my iPad that I couldn't copy back after the update.

I use Windows as my main computer but I have a MacBook, so I made sure it was up to date on iTunes and everything else before I tried. I got the 1.2.2 version of Absinthe and fired it up, it found the iPad right away. I clicked on the Jailbreak button and it was done with its magic in maybe 4-5 minutes. I then had to click on the Absinthe app on the iPad home screen and the screen went white for about 30 seconds, then the iPad rebooted and there was Cydia in all its glory. I was actually afraid that something had gone wrong because it completed so fast and I've read about this taking 20 or more minutes. But everything went through without a hitch, I'm a happy camper. Now I'm reinstalling all my stuff and playing with the new features of IOS5 which are pretty cool (love the new Safari).

Great big thanks to all the devs that worked so hard on this, and to the people of this forum for all the great information.

Dave

dn1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now jailbroken with the cmd-windows-way... Actually very easy...
Is there a tweak which make me able to put the stock apps(which cant be moved into folders) into folders?
Thanks for the jailbreak - and for the help!

Why can't the stock apps be put into folders? I just did it. The only one I've found that can't be put in a folder is Newstand for whatever reason. But I've got iTunes, App Store, Maps, Calendar and more in a folder I called Apple.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has made it so that you can't put Newstand into a folder for what ever reason. There may be a tweak in Cydia, I'd do a google search for "cydia tweak to hide newstand" or "cydia tweak to move newstand into a folder". Currently jailbreaking mine right now, so far I'm 30 minutes in and based on the progress bar I 'm about 1/3 the way through.

MIKES3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any one else having problems with the Windows Jailbreakfile? I am. I've tried two different computers and about 4 minutes into the process i get a box pop up that says absinthe has stopped working.Windows forces you to close it

I'm getting very upset

*EDIT* I just updated my windows service pack. Lets see if that works

Last edited:

whodaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JB done with pkbackup restored, windows installer. 23 minutes start to finish. Saaaaa-weeeeeeet!!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why doesn't iTunes fully backup all apps like iCloud??

Oh well least my iPhone 4s is now JB'd! Next iPad 2!

MIKES3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what am I doing wrong? Do I need to be at a certain place in the iPad

I have no idea why it just stops working. I'm about ready to break things

Do I need iTunes running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions