What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charge indicator on, battery doesn't charge

Bob95065

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 3 wi-fi has a problem charging. I would plug it in using the original cable and power adapter and it woudln't take a charge. I brought it to the Apple store and they tried several cables and got the same result. They told me it was dead and I needed to buy a new one.
I bought a new dock connector and installed it yesterday. The "lightning bolt"charge indicator comes up but after having it plugged in for 3 hours the battery didn't charge at all.
Is this a problem with the battery? Any advice is appreciated. I hate to buy a battery if I don't need one.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It sounds as though the battery is dead.

Please do not make the same post twice is different forums. I have deleted your other post on this subject.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad 3 wi-fi has a problem charging. I would plug it in using the original cable and power adapter and it woudln't take a charge. I brought it to the Apple store and they tried several cables and got the same result. They told me it was dead and I needed to buy a new one.
I bought a new dock connector and installed it yesterday. The "lightning bolt"charge indicator comes up but after having it plugged in for 3 hours the battery didn't charge at all.
Is this a problem with the battery? Any advice is appreciated. I hate to buy a battery if I don't need one.

Hi Bob - we need some clarification - the iPad 3 was released in the spring of 2012, so now just over 2 years old - I assume you went w/ the standard warranty and not Apple Care? Above, I've put in bold several of your comments: 1) What did Apple mean by it was 'dead and...buy a new one' - i.e. the iPad, the battery, other?; and 2) 'Bought & installed a new dock connector' - does that mean you opened the iPad and replaced the dock insert or did you just get another cable?

Also let us know if you've had any damage to your device, especially related to liquids and whether this problem was sudden or gradual. A two-year old iPad battery should still be in good shape, so this would be unusual in my mind. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
B

Bob95065

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I won the iPad in a contest at a trade show. It came with the standard warranty and I didn't upgrade it.

The Apple store was no help. They told me that they don't repair iPads and I should buy a new one. This was in Palo Alto, CA. They tried several chargers and cables and gave up.

I first ad this problem after I used a Belkin brand cord. I thought that the dock connector may be bad. I bought a opener tool kit online along with a connector and I opened the iPad and replaced the connector. I inspected the original connector and it looked great. This made me unsettled because I hoped to find damage that would explain the battery not charging. Anyway it didn't work.

I babied this iPad as long as I have had it. I never have food or drink when I use it. When it is not in use it is in a Roo Case and put away. This unit is in excellent shape and has not suffered damage or abuse.

The problem came on suddenly. I always used the original charger and Apple cord. I used the Belkin cord and it was difficult to remove from the iPad. After that time I charged it I tried using the Apple cord and the battery wouldn't charge but I saw the lightning bolt icon near the % charged in the upper right corner of the screen. I assumed I had damaged the dock connector because the Belkin cord was hard to remove so I bought a new one and replaced it. It made no difference. The connector wasn't expensive so I don't feel bad about replacing it. Batteries cost more so I would like to be sure that is the source of the problem before I buy a new one.

Bob

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on what you've said in your posts, it seems likely that you have a defective battery. The Genius Bar at the Apple Store should have been able to discover this during a diagnostic test. The only thing that can be done about a defective battery is to replace it. Apple has a battery replacement service, which charges $99.00 + a shipping fee of $6.95. This page explains the service. http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Canada&product=ipad You can select your country from the menu on the page.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does your iPad have any charge left at all on it?

If so, you could try a reset of your iPad......Just to see if this makes a difference....

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

I find it strange that Apple didn't check your iPad for a dead battery. They have been known to offer a replacement iPad but at a cost which is normally half of what it cost......I'm surprised they didn't offer you this either.

When you say 'when it's not in use, you put it away' how long is it away for? Also, do you have it charged when you have done this?

Batteries can be damaged if an iPad is not in use for a while and with no charge.

They don't actually change your battery out, they just give you a new iPad as far as I am aware.....if you have an iPad 3, that is what they will give you. The fact that you changed the connector could disqualify you for this service though.....so I wouldn't mention this. ;)

OP
B

Bob95065

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used my iPad every day. When this happened I reset the iPad and it made no difference.

I can get a battery on eBay and replace it myself for less than Apple wants to do it. I'll try that next.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used my iPad every day. When this happened I reset the iPad and it made no difference. I can get a battery on eBay and replace it myself for less than Apple wants to do it. I'll try that next.

It might be an idea to see if Apple can run that diagnostic Scifan alluded to, to determine if your battery is dead or not.

It's just curious to me that they didn't say it was your battery rather than the iPad is dead. I'd be loathe to spend money on a battery to find out that's not the problem....

I'd also try another reset.....can't hurt! ;)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, replacing an iPad battery can be a daunting and potentially damaging procedure, e.g. see the iFixit guide HERE for replacing the battery on an iPad 3, and described as 'Very Difficult' by them. But good luck if you want to give it a try. Dave :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If he has been inside the device to replace the dock connector, then I'm sure he has no problems replacing the battery. I doubt he can beat the price apple charges when you factor in time and effort, though. Getting apple to declare the battery dead and replace it for a fee is a type of insurance against some other potential reason the device is not working but you can't predict otherwise.

OP
B

Bob95065

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a battery for $20 on eBay.

I repair many things at home and at work. The things I work on at my job are far more complex, delicate and expensive than an iPad. I think I can handle it. I successfully replaced the dock connector already. The battery shouldn't be any more difficult.

If it isn't the battery I don't know what the problem is. I tried another reset with no change. I am at 2% charge so I am running out of options.

OP
B

Bob95065

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: I replaced the battery and got the same result: When I plug in the iPad I see the lightning bolt on the battery percent at the top right but the battery doesn't charge.

Looking inside the iPad the path between the cable seems to be: dock connector (replaced), logic board, battery (replaced). It would seem to me that there is something wrong with the logic board. Anyone have another idea of what could be wrong?

jpandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar issue. Changed dock connector, due to bent pins. Now, it charges really slowly. Did you ever figure out a solution?

OP
B

Bob95065

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No solution. I replaced the dock connector and battery and it won't charge. The lightning bolt icon that indicates a charge is there but the battery won't charge. I left it plugged in overnight and it didn't charge.

When I opened the iPad the only thing I saw between the dock connector and battery was the logic board. I don't have the money to buy a new logic board so I fire up my laptop when I want to go online. I miss my iPad.

If anyone has thoughts on this please let me know. I am not an iPad expert but I am good at fixing things. I don't have the money to buy a logic board and find out it wasn't the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts