What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numbers, Docs 2 Go, Office2 HD, ???

Cutshot59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an app available to handle a formula like:

=SUM(SMALL(C34:C38,{1,2,3,4}))

All of the above seem to be unable to do so and I am tired of paying for them and would really like to use my iPad more.

Thanks,

SC.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps if you describe what the formula is supposed to do we could come up with something that works. The SMALL function in Numbers does not take the parameters you are describing.

It looks like you want SMALL to return the four smallest values in the range C34:C38 and add them up. You could do this easily enough, but not using SMALL that way. It only accepts one rank parameter. The following would probably work.

=SUM(SMALL(C34,C38,1),SMALL(C34,C38,2),SMALL(C34,C39,3),SMALL(C34,C38,4))

At any rate, I think the curly brackets are for arrays. Numbers does not support this. I don't know about any of the other apps, but I doubt you'll find a mobile app that supports a function that advanced.

OP
C

Cutshot59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps if you describe what the formula is supposed to do we could come up with something that works. The SMALL function in Numbers does not take the parameters you are describing.

It looks like you want SMALL to return the four smallest values in the range C34:C38 and add them up. You could do this easily enough, but not using SMALL that way. It only accepts one rank parameter. The following would probably work.

=SUM(SMALL(C34,C38,1),SMALL(C34,C38,2),SMALL(C34,C39,3),SMALL(C34,C38,4))

At any rate, I think the curly brackets are for arrays. Numbers does not support this. I don't know about any of the other apps, but I doubt you'll find a mobile app that supports a function that advanced.

You are correct in that I want it to find the four smallest numbers of the five and then add them together. I tried your formula and it shows #ARG! as an error message. I made a quick edit from "C34,C38,1" to "C34:C38,1" and it worked. Thanks for the help!! Now I just wish I had come here before wasting time and $$$ on apps. Thanks, again!!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Glad it you got it working.

Sorry about the commas. I always end up in trouble when I try typing out the formula instead of just creating it and using a screen shot. In this case all I did was look the SMALL function definition and type how I thought it would work. When I saw the OSX version of Numbers used a colon, I should have double checked, but I was more interested in seeing if it supported arrays (the curly bracket). It doesn't.

As for money, you may end up not regretting it too much. Each of the apps have their own strengths and weaknesses. You'll likely run into something only one of the other apps will do for you at some point.

Most reactions