What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numbers app, how to add current date & time to a cell

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In a Numbers cell formatted for date & time, how can I add month, day,year,hour& minute directly from the iPad clock?

When I touch the "Month" square, it correctly inputs the current month, day & year, but then I have to add the hour & minutes manually even though I have formatted it for hours and minutes.

Larry Cruzen

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To enter the current day, tap the day or year and then tap Today to the bottom right of the numeric keypad. To enter the current time tap any of the time sections then tap Now (which replaces the Today button when in time mode).

Once upon a time you could change both by selecting Day, but I guess Apple decided you might want to only change one of these, so now twice the work if you want both, but easier if you only wanted one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443391906.142251.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443391924.042485.jpg

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got it, and thank you very much! If I double tap the cell to make the entry, then tap "minute"', then tap "now", it correctly enters the mo,day,yr,hr and min.

Really appreciate this forum.

Larry Cruzen

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Glad to help.

Hmm, what, wait?

Are you on iOS 9 and using the most recent version of Numbers? That's how it used to work. It doesn't' work like that for me now. What you describe only updates the time on my iPad. The date is left blank (if blank) or the same if a date was already entered.

Anyway, I'm glad it's working.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No problem. Glad to help.

Hmm, what, wait?

Are you on iOS 9 and using the most recent version of Numbers? That's how it used to work. It doesn't' work like that for me now. What you describe only updates the time on my iPad. The date is left blank (if blank) or the same if a date was already entered.

Anyway, I'm glad it's working.

Yes, I'm using IOS9.0 & Numbers 2.5.5. Do you have the cells formatted for mo,day,yr,hour,min & sec?

Larry Cruzen

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I'm using IOS9.0 & Numbers 2.5.5. Do you have the cells formatted for mo,day,yr,hour,min & sec?

Larry Cruzen

You were right. It does fill in both, and shows if the field is formatted properly. I was fooled because it doesn't change in the edit bar. When you tap Today, the edit bar updates with the current date, but does not update the hh:mm:ss fields. However, it does show up in the cell, and that's all the counts.

Most reactions

Latest posts