What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

now for something completely different

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 that I use in a Las Vegas taxicab to amuse the paying passengers. I do not even look at it while the taxicab is moving. That is the customer's job. I have a nineteen dollar speaker set and a two dollar patch cord to make the music sound useful within the confines of a Dodge minivan taxicab. Quite amusing so far.

But enough is never enough so I ordered a six hundred dollar Acer touchscreen tablet PC running Windows 7 to complement the iPad2.

The Apple does not run Flash and the Safari web browser is not up to my personal standards.

To make bad matters worse, I recently ordered something that is called a mobile hotspot. It takes down the 4G internet service from the provider and then passes it on to up to eight devices as long as your have the password.

My iPad has the AT&T chip but I discontinued the AT&T service after a couple of weeks because it was too slow to be useful.

So in a few days I can compare the Apple and the Windows tablets in my version of real world conditions using the same internet service.

Sort of a goofy thing to do, money wise, but it amuses me to no end.

I am not an Apple cheerleader and I am not a Windows cheerleader but I want to run a head to head competition.

If Apple would have ever gotten on board with Flash it would have saved me a lot of money. But I do like my Flash sites and that is on me.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are welcome.

I have been messing around with all things PC since the days of the Commodore 64 and I have learned a few things.

The entire civilized world runs on Microsoft Office and Flash, which are two things that Apple does not do.

The Safari web browser is terrible.

But all things Apple do have the designer cache, at a price. Not a big price, but a relative price. I would say about 60% less CPU, memory, storage for the same or greater cost.

You can make an Apple work for you but it is still not the same thing as a real computer that does everything perfectly.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL, expect to get plenty of negative response to your posts.

I agree with you, but this is really not the place to post it you will find.........

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An Ipad isnt suppose to do everything a PC can do. I personally think apple didnt intend it to be, although it will do most of the things a PC can, its quite limited. Id like to see pictures of your set up, it would be interesting to see as nothing like that comes close to what the cabs in canada have.

testerx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 that I use in a Las Vegas taxicab

The Apple does not run Flash and the Safari web browser is not up to my personal standards.

Do you want your IPad2 to play Flash? Just install Skyfire appz and enjoy.
Do you want your IPad2 to play Megavideo? Just install VideoBrowser appz.
Do you want your IPad2 to play DivX, RealMedia, Xvid etc.? Just install any of
these: OPlayerHD, BuzzPlayer, AzulMediaPlayer (With downloading options) etc.
Do you want to watch and download video from Facebook library? No problem,
just install VideoGet. I have all of these appz and they work fine.
There are no limits anymore for the IPad 2.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never found anything that RELIABLY plays flash videos on my ipad2 other than using SplashTop and playing it from a PC on my LAN.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
King,

I cannot provide you with a picture but I can give you an idea and you can use your imagination to fill in the details.

The taxicab I generally drive is a Dodge Caravan minvan. In the middle of the dash there is a cab meter which is about seven American inches wide. I have an iLuv speaker set which is also black and also about seven American inches wides. It has two "stereo" speaker drivers which are about 1.5 Ameican inches wide on the sides and a little battery compartment in the middle. I plug one end of a typical 3.5 mm patch cord into the back of the speaker set and the other end into the top of the iPad2. I attach the speaker set to the top of the meter with two beige rubber bands.

There is your picture. Not too high tech but it works famously.

But since you metioned it, I did recently have some camera hanging Asian kids taking all kinds of pictures of it and me. They even had me get out of the cab and pose for a picture with all of them while the valet guy at their destination took a picture of all of us. I guess I was the cool American cab driver to those camera hangers. One was from Taiwan, one was from mainland China, one was from Japan, and two were from Korea.

It does not cost anything to be nice. I am not saying that I am nice but at least I make an effort to be nice and make people smile.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm....what's the difference between an "American inch" and a standard inch?....lol

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outbreed,

There is no difference. Sometimes I just like to misuse words or put in extra words just to be comical.

I could write the next paragraph as if I were Winston Churchill if that was what I wanted.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. I am working on it.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RickyBobby said:
Outbreed,

There is no difference. Sometimes I just like to misuse words or put in extra words just to be comical.

I could write the next paragraph as if I were Winston Churchill if that was what I wanted.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. I am working on it.

That's ok....just found it amusing that's all.....and don't you just hate auto-correction?

RickyBobby said:
testy,

Where do I get that Flash app?
App store.....also look at puffin browser as well....

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For you guys trying to play flash, don't bother with SkyFire that is useless.

I was trying to watch videos on NFL.com recently and tried all the browser options. SkyFire refused to play anything and Puffin loaded some videos but they played like a slideshow with no sound.

I did get iswifter to play a few and they where actually watchable but not very high
quality (plus iswifter is so juvenile looking it's embarrassing to use)

Jembie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have purchased Skyfire for my iPad2 and it works perfectly. There are several sites that I can quite happily view many flash videos which I can't view in Safari.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts