What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notes syncing dilemma

jmantze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
digitalartandmore.com
I have saved many pages of written material in the Notes app that came with my iPad. I see that Notes is also in the Mail app on my MacBook Pro and I get how these two apps will be synced through iTunes.

Here's the dilemma - Notes on my MacBook is empty, but there's a bunch of info in Notes on my iPad. Because syncing copies info from one device to the other, will this copy the empty Notes (on my MacBook) onto my iPad thus wiping out the content that is there - OR because MacBooks Notes is empty will syncing copy the iPad Notes pages over to the desktop app? I can't seem to find any info/rules about what direction the sync will take place. Thanks for the help.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe, that "syncing" puts whatever is on the computer onto the iPad. ie wipes out your notes. Do not sync. (make sure itunes is set to "do not auto sync"). When you first hook up the iPad to i tunes the contents will be " backed up" automatically into the empty note app. in mail.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weird...my reply showed up on the web site, but not here..(iPad forum app)

Last edited:

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmantze said:
I have saved many pages of written material in the Notes app that came with my iPad. I see that Notes is also in the Mail app on my MacBook Pro and I get how these two apps will be synced through iTunes.

Here's the dilemma - Notes on my MacBook is empty, but there's a bunch of info in Notes on my iPad. Because syncing copies info from one device to the other, will this copy the empty Notes (on my MacBook) onto my iPad thus wiping out the content that is there - OR because MacBooks Notes is empty will syncing copy the iPad Notes pages over to the desktop app? I can't seem to find any info/rules about what direction the sync will take place. Thanks for the help.

I am having the same issue and have never gotten to the genius bar to get it sorted out.

I have my machine set up to sync my notes through Mobile.Me.
I can't find any notes in Mail on my laptop, probably because Mail on Mobile.Me reports 0 notes there.

OP
jmantze

jmantze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
digitalartandmore.com
I believe, that "syncing" puts whatever is on the computer onto the iPad. ie wipes out your notes. Do not sync. (make sure itunes is set to "do not auto sync"). When you first hook up the iPad to i tunes the contents will be " backed up" automatically into the empty note app. in mail.

I believe that you are correct in saying that info/files are copied from the computer to the iPad. I have everything in iTunes set to manual syncing already, thanks for the tip. I have copied all my Notes files into WritePro so they are backed up on the iPad. I'll try your suggestion and report the outcome in a future posting.

OP
jmantze

jmantze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
digitalartandmore.com
kc2ped said:
I am having the same issue and have never gotten to the genius bar to get it sorted out.

I have my machine set up to sync my notes through Mobile.Me.
I can't find any notes in Mail on my laptop, probably because Mail on Mobile.Me reports 0 notes there.

You will find Notes accessible on your laptop in Mail through an icon in the toolbar. If the Notes icon isn't there go to view>Customize Toolbar and just replace the icon.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have any notes in mail either on the laptop or in Mail in Mobile.Me and since Mobile.Me is configured to do the syncing for Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Bookmarks they are supposed to be in both places.

OP
jmantze

jmantze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
digitalartandmore.com
Here's what I tried... in the Info tab in iTunes the only thing that I had checked was "Sync Notes" under “Other†near the bottom of the page. When I clicked Apply the progress bar at the top of the screen flashed by so quickly I didn't see what it said, but I presume it thought something was being copied. When I checked Notes on my iPad all the pages were still there, but nothing was copied to Notes on the desktop computer.

That Sync Notes check box also allows you to check another box under the "Advanced" tab (at bottom of page - which I did not do) because it notes at the bottom of that page “During the next sync only, iTunes will replace the selected information on this iPad with information from this computerâ€

FYI - In my previous post I wrote that the text program that I had used to copy the Notes pages was called WrightPro, that was incorrect, it's called WritePad which is a handwriting-to-text app. A nice way to take notes with the stylus.

Most reactions

Latest posts