What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sure about getting ipad 2 now

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had 3 different iPad 2 devices and only 1 had backlight bleed, the other had a faulty MF and other had software issues. If your not too bothered about having a camera or using FaceTime then I'd get an iPad 1, doesn't look as good but still cheaper and more reliable.

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mark K, yes, I am using a galaxy s, why do you ask?

I went to another store yesterday and had another play with the ipad 2, couldn't see any bleeding on either of the two I played with so that restores my faith a little.
Alison

Alison.
Sent from my GT-I9000 using iPad Forums

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hazi1964 said:
Mark K, yes, I am using a galaxy s, why do you ask?

I went to another store yesterday and had another play with the ipad 2, couldn't see any bleeding on either of the two I played with so that restores my faith a little.
Alison

Alison.

Hey Alison. While it is a concern, don't let the bleeding issue prevent you from going ahead with your purchase. The odds are that you won't have any problem at all.

littlesue73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would go for one, I didn't even know nothing about the bleeding until after I bought one and started using this forum, mine has been ok, but if you did get one that had the back light bleeding then I am sure you would be able to exchange if for another.

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say, I never expected such a good response so thank you everybody for your input.

I am going to go ahead and get one. Fingers crossed I will get lucky and not have a bleed issue.

4 weeks and 2 days to go....
Alison.

Alison.

Eddieboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hazi1964 said:
I have to say, I never expected such a good response so thank you everybody for your input.

I am going to go ahead and get one. Fingers crossed I will get lucky and not have a bleed issue.

4 weeks and 2 days to go....
Alison.

Alison.

Bet you can't wait. Mine should arrive 1st July...I'm praying sooner!

trinket

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been through 3 iPad 2s. All of them had the screen bleed issue, two of them had wifi problems, and one had a speaker problem. The last iPad also had dead pixels, and cool spots on the screen (visible with white background), which made it difficult for my eyes to focus while reading.

When I went into the store (I live in Sydney, Australia), they refused to replace the iPad, and I was told that the problems I was experiencing are 'simply a reality of owning an iPad 2' (direct quite from Genius). After complaining to the manager, I was given the option of a replacement, or a refund. I chose replacement, and was handed with iPad 2 #3. Had it for 2 weeks, and got the refund last week.

Despite all that, I would like another one. Not all iPads have issues. I have friends who don't have any problems with theirs, I just think I have been unlucky with bad products, and even worse retail/genius apple staff.

I always say, "if in doubt, don't". On the other hand, you could always buy one, and if you're not happy with it, take it back within the returns period.

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, will check mine thoroughly and if a replacement were necessary but also had issues I would opt for a refund.

I seriously hope I won't have any problems though.
Alison.

Alison.

otacon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After much debate I put my iPad2 on Ebay last night. There was nothing wrong with it, got into what I needed vs what I wanted. I wanted an iPad2 but I need a new laptop at this point. One good thing is that I'll get at least what I paid for it if not more..lol Even though I'm not an Apple guy the iPad is by far the best tablet out there. I'll end up getting the iPad3 most likely at this point. It pained me to hit the "Submit Listing" button..lol

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yellow lite bleeding issue

Hmmm, I certainly don't want to have to return one. Stock locally is sparse to say the least so returning might be a hassle.

Looked at one in comet today that had it too so not comfortable with buying one at the moment.

May go for ipad 1 instead but that's not what I want really.
Alison

Alison.

In normal use, you can't even see the bleeding. I checked ours out and yes there was a tiny ghost in absolute darkness ... no body ever uses their computer that way ... and after a week, it all disappeared. The hint is that as the adhesive cures, the bleeding disappears.

You have a full year of protection from Apple, if you get one that is not satisfactory.

I would not settle for iPad vs iPad2 ... iPad2 is so much better, especially with all the new stuff coming. iPad is under powered ... doesn't mirror, no cameras, a 1/3rd heavier, thicker. The the graphics are superb ... I wouldn't compromise on such a piddley issue.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
saphire said:
How do you check for backlight bleeding. I only run programs that have white backgrounds so haven't noticed anything.

Load up a dark page on your iPad, then go into a room that is dark. If you don't see any light from coming from the sided of your iPad 2, you don't have the problem.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got my iPad 2 last Sunday. There is absolutely no backlight bleed at all.

tmk5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sadly do have the bleeding problem....badly. I plan on taking it to be replaced sometime this week.

trinket

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In normal use, you can't even see the bleeding. I checked ours out and yes there was a tiny ghost in absolute darkness ... no body ever uses their computer that way ... and after a week, it all disappeared. The hint is that as the adhesive cures, the bleeding disappears.

You have a full year of protection from Apple, if you get one that is not satisfactory.

1. There is no such thing as 'normal use' - everyone uses this device differently. What may be normal use for you, will not be normal use for another person. Some people purchase this device purely for watching movies on long haul flights, or for gaming. Also the degree to which this is affecting some people is not consistant - some people have brighter light leakage than others. I have been through 3 iPads with this problem, and each one had different patterns and brightness of light leakage/screen bleed. You do not have to be in a darkened room to notice screen bleed. On 2 of the 3 iPads I owned, the light bleed was highly visible under most lighting conditions, at all brightness levels.

2. The adhesive issue is completely different to the light leak issue. With wet adhesive, it will dry within a few days, however the adhesive is mostly visible with a white background - as opposed to light leak, which is visible only on a dark background.

3. You cannot assume that Apple will replace an iPad under warranty for light leak. While many have been lucky in getting theirs replaced, just as many people are reporting that Apple will not replace an iPad for this issue. I had this problem - Apple refused to replace the product for light leak. In the end, I opted for a refund. There is no official policy on how to deal with this issue, so staff have been given no instruction. They do not yet know if this is an actual problem, or if it is just normal. Also if light leak is normal - HOW much is normal?

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen small amounts of bleeding even on the iPad 1 at the extreme edges. This bleeding does not come through a black background except under extreme conditions (i.e. a completely black background in a pitch black/dark environment.

If so much attention had not been given to this issue because of the truly severe bleeding that was evidently quite prevalent on the first shipments of the iPad 2, I doubt that that many of us would have ever noticed. My impression is that a perfect screen is difficult to come by. Having said that, I would not accept a bad pixel or any amount of bleeding that is clearly visible on a dark background.

Yes. If I crank brightness to full in a dark room with the screen on full black, I can see minor light bleed on my iPad 1 and 2, and my husband's iPad 1. It's not noticeable during regular use on any of the three, so no bother. If not for the publicity, I would've never noticed the bleeding at all.

I'd exchange only if it were noticeable during regular use.

I get the impression that service at U.S. Apple stores is better than elsewhere on the whole when exchanging. I dropped my iPhone 4, purchased overseas, and went to a U.S. Apple store. They replaced it for free without any prompting from me. I just showed them the shattered screen.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts