What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not all itune songs on ipad?

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do I have only 143 itune songs on iPad out of the 450 itune songs I have on my PC? How do I transfer the rest of them? Thanks.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Were all of the songs on the PC purchased through iTunes?

The default setup on iOS is what Apple calls iTunes in the Cloud. In this mode every song you've ever purchased from iTunes will appear on the iPad (can be turned on/off in Settings). Those that are not actually downloaded (stored on the iPad) will have a cloud icon next to them. Tapping on it will download the song to the iPad.

iTunes 11 for Mac: iTunes in the Cloud overview

If some of your songs were imported into iTunes on the PC (not purchased in iTunes), then they will not automatically show up on the iPad. You will either have to set them up to sync with the iPad via iTunes on the computer, or purchase and turn on iTunes Match.

iOS: Syncing your data with iTunes

iTunes Match looks at all the songs in iTunes on your PC. When it detects one you have not purchased from the iTunes Store it tries to match it with a song already there. If the song is no in the store it will upload the track to your iCloud account. When done, every song you have, iTunes or not, will show up on your iPad and computer. They will download and/or stream as needed when you choose to play them.

Apple - iTunes - Match

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If iTunes on the computer has imported and can play the tracks, then they are compatible with the iPad. Even if the file is not directly compatible, iTunes will perform a conversion when syncing.

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually have every itune song backed up onto an external hard drive. I got about 250 songs out of the 450 on iPad. Would like to start from scratch downloading them on to iPad from the external hard drive but I guess that is not possible?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the songs were purchased in iTunes, you don't need to use the hard drive. Just go to the Purchased tab in the iTunes Store on the iPad and start downloading them. If you set the sort to "Albums by. . ." you can download all your songs from each album with one tap.

Or you can go to the Purchases section in iTunes on the computer, download your missing songs, and then sync from there.

Or you can import the songs from the external HD into iTunes on the computer and sync.

If you go to the Advanced preferences in iTunes you can change it so that the songs actually stay on the hard drive when you import them, but are still in the iTunes library. Don't really recommend this, since it will break the library's links to those songs each time the hard drive is disconnected; but it's possible.

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about the songs I imported from my CDs onto iTunes on my PC? Those are the ones not showing up on my iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What about the songs I imported from my CDs onto iTunes on my PC? Those are the ones not showing up on my iPad.

With the iPad plugged into the PC and selected in iTunes, got the the Music sync controls and see what your settings are. A screenshot might be helpful. If there is any private or information you don't want to show the app Skitch is handy for obscuring or pointing out things in a screenshot.

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your help. I wasn't even aware that I could connect the iPad to my PC? I don't think I have the adapter for that. Soon I will bring it to the Apple store and he can show me how to do all this. I will be getting back to you on this. I'm just wondering that if I sync this with the iTunes on my PC that I would have duplicate songs since I been downloading the ones on my iPad already with the cloud Next to the songs?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your help. I wasn't even aware that I could connect the iPad to my PC? I don't think I have the adapter for that. Soon I will bring it to the Apple store and he can show me how to do all this. I will be getting back to you on this. I'm just wondering that if I sync this with the iTunes on my PC that I would have duplicate songs since I been downloading the ones on my iPad already with the cloud Next to the songs?

The charging cable it came with? It's also a syncing cable.

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The charging cable it came with? It's also a syncing cable.
. Ok thanks for that info. After I get done downloading all the songs on my iPad, I will hook it up to my PC for sync and get back to you.... Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts