What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob question: How to get MIDI in&out of iPad air?

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Noob question: How to get MIDI in&out of iPad air? I can move files from computer to droid phone but can't figure it out on this machine.

I've been computing on Atari/windows-DOS/Mac since the 80s. This is my first iPad.

Thanks
Bob

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no direct way to work with MIDI files on the iPad. You'll need an app that work with MIDI files. That app should supply ways to import and export MIDI files. The usual suspects are DropBox, HTTP/FTP/SSH/SMB on the same network, and iTunes File Sharing. To use MIDI instruments or other gear you'll need a MIDI adaptor. A Google search should turn up a few options.

I understand Apple's Garageband app has limited support for MIDI over BlueTooth. Given how much trouble it is just to import/export native projects to/from the iPad (Unless you also have the OS X version on a Mac) I don't hold out much hope that you can do this in Garageband. At least not easily. I think its support is mostly for MIDI instruments input and/or control.

This is all from half remembered articles I've read on the subject. I have no personal experience with using MIDI on an iPad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now, I don't know what you're going to use the iPad with a MIDI for, but a marvelous program I use all the time is Music Studio Lite (free) and Music Studio ($14.99, USD).

It uses the share program so you can open up Music Studio from any app (say you have a MIDI file in Dropbox, you can use "Open In" to open it up in Music Studio). It'll also open other music files ... but that's not what you are looking for. :)

Then, you can export from the program (MIDI, .wav or .aac). You can export a song you've created. However, only the Pro version can do that.

I also like the app Notion ($14.99, USD). It's more of a score creator - but one of its cooler features is that you can import a MIDI file and it will create a score from it.

As you can see, these music program manipulators/players aren't cheap. But they sure are handy ... and fun! :)

I've never tried to hook up my iPad to my electronic piano keyboard, though that is one of the things I always mean to do. So, I'm of no help there, sorry.

Basically, it's as twerppoet says - the iPad can't do MIDI natively. But, I've found there are some seriously good apps out there. What you use is all dependent on what you need it for.

Hope some of this helps. And that I didn't go too far afield. :)

Marilyn

OP
BobbyBoomer

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks.

I do most of my DAW work on my PC with external synths. I prefer MIDI to audio because it's more expressive, although I also do audio. I see music apps in the store, but getting the music from the ipad to the synth or pc seems to be the challenge I need to solve. I downloaded the manual, but can't find it in there.

I read the lightning to USB won't do that. Dropbox is too slow, but better than nothing.

Climbing the curve.

Bob

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an ipad2. I have used the camera connection kit to connect to usb keyboard, and play through garageband. So...yes....I can confirm it works. I would be very disappointed if the lightning connector did not support this capability.

OP
BobbyBoomer

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like I need to go shopping. I read about the camera kit online - but I got a little shy because the description said it automatically opened the photo app on the iPad so I could transfer photos from my camera. It said nothing about computer to iPad or anything other than photos. And I checked many different stores, they all had pretty much the same description.

Bob

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it opens the camera app when there are photos, but otherwise not. I understand that the ipad is core midi compatible, and I have had no troubles.

There are also aftermarket interfaces that allow midi and audio input to the ipad. I have not used these, but they look interesting.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@BobbyBoomer:

If you go shopping at the Apple Store for the connector(s) you want/need - tell the store people what you are trying to do. They can be very helpful and will, hopefully, be able to point you to exactly the right piece for your needs.

Or, at least they've done that for me... :)

Marilyn

OP
BobbyBoomer

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks to you both. I don't think we have an Apple store near me, but I suppose phone help will work too.

Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts