What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non tech/non interested spouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYC Adam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What to do when you have a significcant other with no interest in the wonders of your gizmo (the electronic one). Anyone come accross cool apps or ideas to get your other half excited about the pad?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What to do when you have a significcant other with no interest in the wonders of your gizmo (the electronic one). Anyone come accross cool apps or ideas to get your other half excited about the pad?

I definitely need to hear these suggestions. My wife is the least technically aware person I know.

A couple of years ago I came home and she told me there'd been a call for me from Tripoli. I couldn't understand it because I know no one there. So I checked out the voice mail - the call was from the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers - the IEEE - or, as we say it, the 'I triple E'.

Tim

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But if you get her interested in your iPad, you will probably end up having to buy yourself another one because you may never see yours again!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I leave my wife to her choices, and she leaves me to mine. Sure, we'll listen politely and nod when one of us is talking about a hobby which the other doesn't enjoy, but we've stopped trying to evangelize to each other. We have many common interests, but we also have - no, we need - separate interests as well.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I'm in the opposite boat. My wife is an IT manager for a Fortune 500 company and can run circles around me tech-wise. She actually owns an iPad2 and works remotely with it monitoring all our company servers (worldwide). I have owned my iPad a lot longer so have a bit of an advantage there but that gap will soon close, as well, I'm afraid.

Katrina2475

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband is a total non-tech kinda guy. I did download the ESPN app on my iPad to show him some of the cool stuff about the iPad. He appreciates my interest in it but still doesn't have a want for it himself. I guess we just have an understanding that he won't expect me to fish or hunt and I won't expect him to get a smartphone or a tablet.

Sent from my 32 GB wifi Ipad 2

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NYC Adam said:

My wife was the same way until I forced her to buy an iPhone.

Reaction score
My wife has NEVER had ANY interest in ANY of my gadgets or anything I like to do with my spare time like forums, bike riding, etc until I got my iPad. 2 days later I bought her one and she uses it more than I use mine, even though she said she wasn't sure if she wanted one( that in itself was a huge leap). I got mine because I saw my sisters and saw how smooth it worked for forums and the Internet and I wasn't liking my Kindle so I took the Kindle back and got my iPad as a book reader that could surf the net. She had seen my sisters as well and thought she might want to try playing with hers but then decided not to.
She used to use the desktop or my daughters laptop for the checkbook, online shopping and the occasional email. Once she saw my iPad and how easy it is to use she wanted one ( didn't want to use mine,that would be admitting interest lol) so I got her one and the she started using hers for the things she used the windows machines for as well as she is now an app addict.
The only time she uses the desktop anymore is to print coupons and deposit pictures from her camera onto it. She still has 0 interest in anything else I like but I'm ok with that as we spend quite a bit of time iPadding together or talking while iPadding together. It has reopened up our communication in many ways that had drifted apart after many years of marriage and raising children. I'm not saying Steve Jobs saved our marriage but having an iPad in common has been a common link to start conversations

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

OP
NYC Adam

NYC Adam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ladies and gents, so appreciate your candor. After reading the comments I am thinking maybe of getting us each iPhones when the 5 comes out. Baby steps, you know? We also have an 10 month old who will, in a matter of another year or less, be able to play/use the iPad to learn and grow, and in order for her to coddle him in that respect it would certainly help if she at least knew her way around iOS. I already have a bunch of apps t'ed up for the little man. And there are a few things I have already downloaded for her - Grey's Anatomy App for example.

Good suggestions, again I appreciate the candor.

Reaction score
That's a way you can get an interest peaked. " look honey .I found......" then just kinda scroll around in it. That's how my wife got initially interested she just watched my sister using hers and found common interest. Gail wasn't trying to get my wife to like it, just using it and showing photos and what she found while surfing.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Flinthills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scrabble is the app that won my wife over. Now she's comfortable checking email and playing games when we travel.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com

I definitely need to hear these suggestions. My wife is the least technically aware person I know.

A couple of years ago I came home and she told me there'd been a call for me from Tripoli. I couldn't understand it because I know no one there. So I checked out the voice mail - the call was from the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers - the IEEE - or, as we say it, the 'I triple E'.

Tim
That's a good one Tim. I gotta remember that one!

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife had two hobby was Quilting and sewing things togerther for fun and Guns and if it did not fit into those two hobby then she was not really care for ..She passed before the start of the computer lifestyle that we have now in our everyday lifes..

She would be quilting on something and people used to freak out a little when she reprostion the piece of cloth in the quilting hop ring and people would see a 38.special on her lap under the cloth and she would tell after see the pistol on lapt that a only a foolish person would belive the cops will make to your house on time to save you ..

She was a really good shot because i sent her to Gunsite to get trained on how to use her revolver along with she would drag me to local gunshows in the areas we lived at the time also she was a ok hunter when she wanted to be ..

kimbodious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chocolate, champagne, or red wine, out for dinner, and a movie, works for me, what was the question? Yeah, buy her an iPad of her own!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts