What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sound in apps?

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3 month old iPad 2, bought brand new, where the sound doesnt work in any apps. The volume button works and brings up the volume control box, but there is nothing going up or down. I have done a hard reset and a factory reset and it still doesnt work. Any suggestions?

OP
D

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would also like to mention that the on screen volume in the youtube is gone, nothing there.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - a couple of questions. You say you've done a hard reset - that is, turning the iPad completely off by holding down the Power button until the slider control appears.

Do you have a set of headphones that you could use to see if there's any audio if you have a headset plugged in? Also, when you plug in the headset, change the volume control again to maximum as the iPad 'remembers' the volume separately for headphone and loudspeaker. With the headset plugged in, when you change the volume control, does the iPad 'recognise' that it has a headset plugged in by displaying 'Headphones' on screen as you change the volume?

Tim

Reaction score
Settings, iPod, make sure "sound check" is on.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dumb question, and I apologize in advance if this offends, but - do you by chance have the mute button toggled? The one on the side?

I've had situations where I don't know why the volume's gone and then when I look, I do a face-palm, move the button and am golden.

Just a thought.

Marilyn

OP
D

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - a couple of questions. You say you've done a hard reset - that is, turning the iPad completely off by holding down the Power button until the slider control appears.

Do you have a set of headphones that you could use to see if there's any audio if you have a headset plugged in? Also, when you plug in the headset, change the volume control again to maximum as the iPad 'remembers' the volume separately for headphone and loudspeaker. With the headset plugged in, when you change the volume control, does the iPad 'recognise' that it has a headset plugged in by displaying 'Headphones' on screen as you change the volume?

Tim

Hard reset was holding the power and the home button down for 10 seconds until the iPad powered off. All of the sound settings are turned on, no the mute button is not on. When I adjust the sound in the settings it plays sound, so thats odd. I dont have any headphones with me right now (im out of town), but I will test that tonight when I get home.

I take it I have to take it back to Apple for warranty?

DocTonyNYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This worked for me

I found a solution to this problem, but I'm sorry it's coming two months later!

I had the same problem this morning. No sound from built-in speaker, but only on games. Videos worked fine, although I didn't check YouTube. Headphones worked when I plugged them in (good suggestion there, but did you forget to add a possible fix?). Toggle button was set to screen lock, not mute, in settings. However, I changed the setting to mute, and then back again to screen lock. That fixed the problem. Clearly, this is a bug that needs fixing.

I hope this helps someone else!

Leeisme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Toggle button was set to screen lock, not mute, in settings. However, I changed the setting to mute, and then back again to screen lock. That fixed the problem. Clearly, this is a bug that needs fixing.

Thank you very much, it just helped me...

Tillie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me too!

The same thing happened to me. The sound on my iPad2 worked, but not on the Optimum App - to watch TV. I did a search on this forum, saw this as a solution and just tried it. It worked! It never would have occurred to me.
Thanks!

randyc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DocTonyNYC said:

I had the same problem this morning. No sound from built-in speaker, but only on games. Videos worked fine, although I didn't check YouTube. Headphones worked when I plugged them in (good suggestion there, but did you forget to add a possible fix?). Toggle button was set to screen lock, not mute, in settings. However, I changed the setting to mute, and then back again to screen lock. That fixed the problem. Clearly, this is a bug that needs fixing.

Thank you very much. You solve my problems on guitar tuner and dictionary apps. It is a reallly useful discovery.

Dragonsnake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DocTonyNYC your awesome

My iPad has been driving me crazy. I had sound for everything except some of the games. Confused the stuffing out of my tech savvy sons, this worked instantly, your awesome! Thanks so much. I signed up just to say thank you, so again thank you!

Most reactions