What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sound on iPad

Saad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!
Fairly new to the iPad here.
Everything was working fine till 2days ago. I charged my iPad and when I next used it, there was no sound.
I DO get sound when I connect to charge, but only that ONE sound. Then all else goes quiet on me.
When I press the volume buttons on the side, nothing happens, no volume bar appearing either.
I have reset the iPad several times both hard and soft. Synced again and again. Even changed cables.
Nothing worked, please help as I cannot return to Apple coz I am not in USA for another 2months.

Any and all advise / help will be much appreciated.

Saad

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would do a backup and then do a restore, this will wipe your ipad and then restore the firmware and finally restore your backup. See if that helps.

OP
S

Saad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried the backup and restore, still no sound.
Thanks for the advice.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
You didn't, by chance, lock the volume control in the mute/off position did you?

Settings
iPod
Volume Limit
(unlock volume limit and slide volume up)

Another thought - is something plugged into the earphone jack? I have a stylus that plugs into the jack to keep it from getting lost. Obviously, this renders the sound mute. Just a thought.

Last edited:
OP
S

Saad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, didnt lock the volume.
Nothing ever plugged into the earphone jack.

panlamin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't happen to have the developers 4.2 iOS installed do you? The orientation switch becomes a mute switch in 4.2.

HomerSimpson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been having the same problem. You can adjust the volume sometimes before you type in your password so its not the button, its not the speaker, its the software. Did you remember what app you installed just before that happened?

Note, after posting this I saw that in the Ipod app it seems to think the ipad is docked, the upper left corner says "Dock Connector" and is not the volume control as it should be... For some reason the Ipad thinks it's docked...

Last edited:

jmac4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem. Well, almost. It recognizes when it's not docked, but won't play when it is docked. That's a BIG problem! Why should I have to take my Ipad off the dock to listen to it?

Beamer4343

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok..heres what you do....the slider button just above the audio control on the side of the ipad.. that use to be the landscape lock is NOW the audio mute...you have it on mute, slide it up.

Aluu14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mute button on top of volume control

Thanks Beamer4343! Your solution worked for me too! I was getting really frustrated since no sound was coming out unless I used my iPod app for songs. Flipping that switched saved me a call to Apple custie service!

roxana_n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been having the same problem. You can adjust the volume sometimes before you type in your password so its not the button, its not the speaker, its the software. Did you remember what app you installed just before that happened?

Note, after posting this I saw that in the Ipod app it seems to think the ipad is docked, the upper left corner says "Dock Connector" and is not the volume control as it should be... For some reason the Ipad thinks it's docked...

same problem..... what about now? is ur ipad still "dock connected"???

Phillips_R

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok..heres what you do....the slider button just above the audio control on the side of the ipad.. that use to be the landscape lock is NOW the audio mute...you have it on mute, slide it up.
Thanks Beamer4343, that has just sorted my problem.

Pokey42

iPF Noob
Reaction score

same problem..... what about now? is ur ipad still "dock connected"???

Roxana,

I had the "dock connected" problem even after a reset to factory default. None of my apps had sound so I took it into the Apple Store. They determined that it is a hardware problem so they replace my unit.

LaughingMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When did this happen

So when did the function of the button change? Is this announced in some document no one ever reads?

In a related question . . . how do you lock the screen orientation now?

Most reactions

Latest posts