What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No more buying books for Kindle app on ipad/iphone

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple wanted a 30% cut of all books purchased through the app and Amazon wasn't willing to give up their entire profit margin (can't say I blame them). This was the compromise Apple and Amazon came up with.

Interesting, I just updated the Kindle app today w/o really looking at the potential changes, but the browse/purchase button is gone! :confused:

Just curious if you have a link that verifies the statement(s) made above in the quote? Thanks - :)

Here is one but you can find more if you google it.

Amazon caves to Apple, drops Kindle's in-app button - Computerworld

We have been talking about this for months over on the Kindle boards.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yay! We get to keep our Kindle books on the ipad. I'm glad they reached a compromise, unlike our elected representatives right now.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read the link provided in the previous post. Oh well....it was easy going from the app to the website, especially since I like to buy samples before I buy. Now those links in the book samples no longer work and the button is gone as reported by others. So now I have to launch Safari, go to Amazon.com and look for books to buy starting there at the website, buy a book and then go to Kindle app.

A little bit more keystrokes but I can live with this change. Kindle and Nook books are cheaper than Ibooks. The bottom line is I can still read Kindle books or Nook books on my iPad. As long as that doesn't change, this missing functionality is okay.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... Kindle and Nook books are cheaper than Ibooks. The bottom line is I can still read Kindle books or Nook books on my iPad. As long as that doesn't change, this missing functionality is okay.

Which is why Apple wanted the Kindle purchase option gone.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple wants more market share, they need to offer more titles in iBooks. I like using the app, and one dollar difference doesn't really bother me, but they often don't have what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know a way of suggesting titles to Apple for iBooks?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here is one but you can find more if you google it.

Amazon caves to Apple, drops Kindle's in-app button - Computerworld

We have been talking about this for months over on the Kindle boards.

Well, thanks for the link - just wanted some more details - :)

I do not own a Kindle so no reason for me to be reading those boards - sorry - ;)

Tonight, I tried to order a 'Kindle' book off Amazon w/ the new app - an utter misery, including a nearly hour long chat - had to re-register my 'new' updated Kindle app and still could not get the order in & downloaded.

The book I wanted was at a good price but just is not functioning for me at the moment - will relax and do another attempt tomorrow - :(

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is why I like putting links on the desktop. Just click the page icon and you are ready to find books. ( To put the icon on the page use the curved arrow-out-of-the-box in Safari and choose add to home screen.)

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to leave this BS "update" uninstalled. Next time I buy a book, I'll use the app as previously, to see whether the old version still works. I'll report back if it still works as before - or has someone already tried it?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to leave this BS "update" uninstalled. Next time I buy a book, I'll use the app as previously, to see whether the old version still works. I'll report back if it still works as before - or has someone already tried it?

I just tried buying with the un-updated app, and it worked as before.

There's a good Kindle book sale going on at Amazon right now, by the way.

I got this book for $1.99:

"Archimedes to Hawking: Laws of Science and the Great Minds Behind Them"

The sale is on the Kindle home page on Amazon's site, with 900 books starting at 99 cents. I tried pasting a link, but it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 'rule-of-thumb' has always been, if an app is working OK and you're happy with it then don't update. Typically some great feature is removed...:(

Tim

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you do if you accumulate a whole bunch of apps you don't want to update? It could end up being quite annoying. Is there a way you can reject the update so you don't see it on the list any more?

Gridguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somerled said:
Ok, the update has NOTHING to do with controlling what you can/can't read in the Kindle app. It removes a hyperlink. That's it. Go to Amazon.com's Kindle section and bookmark it.

Also, this update allows you to get Magazines and Newspapers - thus ADDING to what you CAN read/access.

I am fully aware of the substance of the update, I'm talking about the direction. If I bought a Nook, I assume I wouldn't be able to read Kindle books on it, and vice-versa ... But I thought iPad was above the fray, hence the flexibility of the apps. I hope I don't eventually turn out to be wrong about that.

Most reactions