What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no internet connection

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
have you tried talking to the tech guys at your internet provider?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check with your router's manufacturer site and see if there are any firmware updates for it. Some of the early implementations of n routers and iPads don't play nice. Most have updates that fix this.

Of course, if it worked before this is probably not the problem.

If you've doen any changes at all on the router recently, that could also be the problem. iOS devices can be picky about he security protocol. They sometimes baulk at WEP. WPA2 works best.

Last edited:
OP
L

lowa71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I contacted the router manufacturer and there are no firmware updates (as it is fairly new). My internet provider says everything ok on that end (as we can still conect with laptops etc)

Overall it must be a problem with the ipad as it shows a wi-fi connection but anytime i try to use the net via the ipad 2 it says no internet connection, but i am getting full internet signal.

Thanks eveyone

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - time to dig deeper. Can you 'log in' to your router from a PC or something and see whether the router has allocated the IP a WiFi IP address? If you don't know how to do this, get back to us and we'll lead you through it (let us know the make and model of your router). Some apps on the iPad will also show you the iPad IP address. This will tell us if the router and iPad and talking 'nicely' to each other. When the iPad first joins the WiFi network it has to get an IP (Internet Protocol) address from the router. To do this, a few 'exchanges' are necessary, back-and-forth, between the iPad and the router. If it has an address it should be something like 192.168.x.y - where the x and y could be anything...but typically 192.168.1.4 - i.e with y being a small number.

If you get something like this, then it means the iPad and the router are talking to each other and we can move on to the next stage of the investigation.

If the router doesn't have an IP address for the iPad, or the iPad reports an address such as 127.x.y.z then we know that the iPad and router are not talking nicely to each other at the moment and that will send our interesting investigation (well, interesting for me at least!) off in a different direction.

I suspect you'll see the 192.168.x.y address but you can never be sure...

Tim

OP
L

lowa71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok Tim, thats all way above my head, I can see the ip address for the ipad and I can see the set up of the router after that im lost

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
if all these thing fail try connecting at say a friends house or a wifi hotspot,if you don't get anywhere at all and nothing you try works maybe you should take it to an apple store and see if they can help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - if your iPad has a proper IP address then we can assume it can talk to the router. Go to a PC or Mac on your network if it's a PC go to 'All Programs', 'Accessories', 'User Control Panel (or similar). A window will pop up on the PC screen. At the prompt in the window type 'ping 192.168.x.y' - replacing x and y with the correct IP address. Then press return. Let me know what comes up on the screen. You'll either get a quick response or, after a while, it will say the operation timed out.

Tim

OP
L

lowa71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also called the help line for the router and that was no help, they keept asking me what operating system the ipad was using, was it windows xp or windows 7, :confused:

after several times explaining that it was neither they gave up and told me to call someone eles.

OP
L

lowa71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok Tim thanks, the ip address on the ipad is 169.254.149.90, is that a bit strange, i typed that address (ping 169.254.149.90) and got a msg saying destination host unreachable

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is probably a self assigned IP address. If there were no entries in the DNS and Router fields, then the iPad is not getting an IP address from the router.

rnfuller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That means that the IPAD did not receive an IP from the router.

My ipad does that occasionally, and what I do to fix it is to go to settings and "forget" the wireless network, and let the IPAD find it again.

Randy

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That means that the IPAD did not receive an IP from the router.

My ipad does that occasionally, and what I do to fix it is to go to settings and "forget" the wireless network, and let the IPAD find it again.

Randy
Oh yes, had to do that once on an android tablet that I used to have and it worked

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
lowa71 said:
Hi All, Im new here so forgive me if i am being stupid.

"Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet"

This is the message i get when trying to connect the the web. I have reset the network settings several times and also restarted the ipad.

My Ipad shows good singal stregth.(top lefthand side)
In wi-fi settings it shows i am connected to my router.
Router singal strength is good.

Any help would be great

Thanks in advanced.

Bear in mind that a connection to your router does not mean that the router can connect to the i'net. Is there anything else using that router that is successfully reaching the i'net? Oops, Tim already mentioned this. Forget I said anything.

arttext

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no way in hell any router with only a couple of devices connected will assign "90" So it means indeed that the idevices are not connected/ and/or DCHP on the router is not working ( that needs to be checked on the router settings with the aforementioned pc connected to the router via ( mostly) 192.168.1.1. (password\login=admin/admin)
-is the router set to wpa2 and the ipad too?
-is the router set to broadcasting? Can you see it? Check that through wifi settings on your non ios phone. And is the broadcast name of the router the same as typed in in the appropriate field in wifi settings in your ipad? Which routers do you see when you switch off and on wifi on your ipad? And last but not least; reset in settings/network your idevices.
-Retrace your steps before all this started because I can only conclude that you did an update or install of some sorts in iTunes since both idevices stopped working and your non-iOs device not.

Cubejam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. My iPad arrived today & wont connect to the internet but will connect to the network. all other devices work on the network & connect to the internet apart from the ipad.

They sent me an american ipad but that shouldn't be a problem at all.

I have a wifi hotpot app on my phone where I created a hotspot using my phones 3G internet, connected it & it worked. But not my home connection.

resetting doesnt work, and I cant access my internet web page. What do I do?

Most reactions

Latest posts