What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No green bubbles only blue bubbles

• Thread starter Deleted member 247820
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 247820

I have iPad mini 2 ver 9.3.4
In "Messages" I can send messages to people in the contact list that are Blue.
All the other contacts are black. (Or no colour.)
I believe that I should be able to SMS or MMS contacts that are green.
However none are green.
Yet on my old iPhone 4S Ver 7.1.2 I have heaps that turn green and I can send messages to them.
There is no option "Send as SMS" available anywhere.
I have checked all over and not found an answer.
So far my idea is that it is not possible anymore?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be able to send text messages to non-Apple devices from your iPad, you need an iPhone with iOS 8 or later, and the same Apple ID on both devices in Settings - Messages.

The feature that provides this service, is called Continuity.

If you have an iPhone 4s, it is capable of receiving the latest iOS, 9.3.4. So if you wish to use Continuity, you'd need to update.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi JA and thanks for the quick reply.
I have iPhone 4s and it will not update any further than 7.1.2
The phone is great I can message anyone, some go via blue bubbles and some by green.
So I cannot update to get Continuity.
I see no point in needing a phone next to my iPad just to message.
I can just use the phone.
I want to use the iPad because every thing is easier for my clumbsy fingers.
So are you saying that useing the iPad I cannot message anyone unless they are blue bubbles?
Perhaps someone knows of an app that will message anyone from iPad.
Big thanks JA!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

If it doesn't update further than 7.1.2, it could be an iPhone 4. The 4s still gets updates, while the 4 doesn't receive them. If that's the case, you'll only be able to receive and sent messages to Apple devices, using the built in Messages app.

Most of the apps that allow texting for am iPad, also allow phone calls. With Viber, e.g., You can make calls to other Viber users for free, while you'll have to pay when you call someone who doesn't use it. Hangouts used to connect to Android users, I couldn't find that limitiation in the recent app description, though. If you have WhatsApp on your iPhone, you could use an app that works with the iPad as well. While WhatsApp itself is not available for iPad, there are a few apps that can connect to your account on the iPhone, so that you can send messages from the iPad as well.

When you search for "text message iPad" or something similar, you'll get a few suggestions to choose from.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi JA.
Thanks for all those suggestions.
Re iPhone 4s. My phone is stamped 4S on the back.
Just tried to update but the message is clear:
"Your software is up to date".
If you know a way around that problem I would like to know and try it?
I have searched for alternatives and noted some that you have mentioned.
I think as I have Skype installed I will perserver with that.
And continue to use the iPhone as it will message most people.
Big thanks dor your prompt reply.
PS maybe an Apple genius visit will get my phone updated to ver 8?

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Oh JA.
I forgot to include the iPhone model number.
It is MC603X/A
Does that help to decide whether it is 4 or 4S?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you found a way to send texts with your iPad.

The model number you've provided belongs to an iPhone 4. That would explain why it says it's up to date. The latest software that the iPhone 4 gets is 7.1.2, and it's not possible to install an iOS later than that one. What baffles me is that 4s is on it's back.
Which model number do you find there? The model number starts with an A followed by four digits. It's also on the back of your device. If it's a 4s, you should find A1431, or A1387. iPhone 4 model numbers are A1349 and A1332.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi JA.
The only model number is the one displayed in the "Settings General". I cannot find the "A" type numbers.
The only writing on the back is the 4S. So I must have a "dodgy" not legit version!
I connected to iTunes and iTunes reports it as 4.
I will now accept that I am at the end of the road with this problem.
Big thanks for your advice.

Most reactions

Latest posts