What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No flash on Xoom, it keeps getting better

Status
Not open for further replies.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would they come out with a iPad 3 basically months after the iPad 2?

Because Apple originally wanted ipad2 to have retina display. But at the present time, there is no way to manufacture enough of those screens at an acceptable price. Remember how iphone came out, then 3g, then 3gs, n now iphone 4? ipad 2 is more of an incremental release, like hkw the iphone 3g went to 3gs. Its gonna have some new stuff n feautures but not a completely new overhaul. Ipad 3 will be that. Everything is rumor right now but well known sources who predicted iphone 4 specs n release said the same about ipad3. I know it sounds crazy to release ipad3 only months after ipad2 but i woukdnt be surprised. Iphone4 juss came out and theres already talk from apple of a new iphone5 being released this summer.
With all these new Android tablets coming out that are good, apple wont let ipad fall behind spec n feature wise. Ipad 1 will hold its own against xoom until
ipad2 drops. Once ipad2 drops, it will be even playing field or surpass Xoom, spec wise. Then ipad3 will blow everything away..lmao. Ipad 2 already confirmed from concrete sources to have 2 cams, faster dual core processor, and sd card slot and another mysterious slot not figured out yet. The tablet war is getting good. Im still using my ioad like its brand new and still finding more n more uses. Tablets that will be better will blow everyones minds. I neverrr use a reg. Pc anymore since i got my ipad. My ipad does all
computing needs i need done. Cant wait to see whats coming out, tablet wise, which is right around the corner. Stay tuned..lol

Great explaining that for me! Damn, I have a good job but I don't think the wife is gonna let me keep up like I WANT to! Lol yea I don't use either of my laptops either since the ipad

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the look of the xoom, and the fact that at some point flash will be in it! But it seems a lil too small, I like the screen size of the ipad, just makes it easier to read webpages and watch movies on.

Oh and yes, some people on here get way too personal, thought they get banned for that, but I guess only I get yelled at for getting personal lol

So iPad is bigger? I thought they were the same price

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the look of the xoom, and the fact that at some point flash will be in it! But it seems a lil too small, I like the screen size of the ipad, just makes it easier to read webpages and watch movies on.

Oh and yes, some people on here get way too personal, thought they get banned for that, but I guess only I get yelled at for getting personal lol

What was the same price? Xoom and ipad? Says 10.1 but you cant hold the ipad in one hand with fingers over lapping sides, so the Zoom isnt as wide.

Last edited:

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What was the same price? Xoom and ipad? Says 10.1 but you cant hold the ipad in one hand with fingers over lapping sides, so the Zoom isnt as wide.

Meant size my bad

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Xoom has pretty much the same size screen as the iPad, but it has a wider aspect ratio.

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like both, not a fanboy of either company, I love parts of the Ipad, I love parts of the Xoom, I also dislike parts of both. Now if we could put both together woohoo.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would they come out with a iPad 3 basically months after the iPad 2?

Because Apple originally wanted ipad2 to have retina display. But at the present time, there is no way to manufacture enough of those screens at an acceptable price. Remember how iphone came out, then 3g, then 3gs, n now iphone 4? ipad 2 is more of an incremental release, like hkw the iphone 3g went to 3gs. Its gonna have some new stuff n feautures but not a completely new overhaul. Ipad 3 will be that. Everything is rumor right now but well known sources who predicted iphone 4 specs n release said the same about ipad3. I know it sounds crazy to release ipad3 only months after ipad2 but i woukdnt be surprised. Iphone4 juss came out and theres already talk from apple of a new iphone5 being released this summer.
With all these new Android tablets coming out that are good, apple wont let ipad fall behind spec n feature wise. Ipad 1 will hold its own against xoom until ipad2 drops. Once ipad2 drops, it will be even playing field or surpass Xoom, spec wise. Then ipad3 will blow everything away..lmao. Ipad 2 already confirmed from concrete sources to have 2 cams, faster dual core processor, and sd card slot and another mysterious slot not figured out yet. The tablet war is getting good. Im still using my ioad like its brand new and still finding more n more uses. Tablets that will be better will blow everyones minds. I neverrr use a reg. Pc anymore since i got my ipad. My ipad does all computing needs i need done. Cant wait to see whats coming out, tablet wise, which is right around the corner. Stay tuned..lol

It's obvious you've been following the iPad speculation and rumors, but your expectations are a little off. Apple has never historically released a product that had specs that "blew everything away." For computers and laptops they have actually been fairly behind, adopting everything about 6 months to a year late, unless it's their own technology (like LightPeak).

I have been watching iPad 2 news just as closely as I have watched Android tablet news and I can't find a single reliable source that says thhe iPad 2 will have a dual core processor, most people think exactly the opposite. Most say the iPad 2 will be a small update, much like the iPhone 3G -> 3Gs.

If Apple does release the iPad 3 this year as well, it won't blow everything away as you say because NVidia has already said that tablets with their new Kal-El processor will be available in September. The Kal-El which is a minimum of 5x higher performance than the Tegra 2 in the Xoom is going to set the bar, it's up to Apple to beat it, which they rarely do. They normally offer innovation in the user interface over raw horsepower.

We'll have to wait until March 2nd to hear about the iPad.

FunN4Lo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bottom line after 6 pages. Xoom will have Flash, wether it is at release, or delayed because it's new operation system, it will have Flash.

iPad will never have Flash

Choices, choices

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Engadget did a hands on review of the Xoom. They were impressed, but felt it was not a finished product. Said it was buggy and had problems with quality control. Might be just the one they had on some of it. In any case, they said it was the first contender to the iPad. The question is how Apple does in their upgrade process. They did agree with one thing I have been saying. They found no value in the front facing camera, even though it did a great job of pictures and video. The good thing is that the better the competition, the better iPad becomes.

PS: they claim 10 hours battery life, but it only got 8.5 hours.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Seadog said:
Engadget did a hands on review of the Xoom. They were impressed, but felt it was not a finished product. Said it was buggy and had problems with quality control. Might be just the one they had on some of it. In any case, they said it was the first contender to the iPad. The question is how Apple does in their upgrade process. They did agree with one thing I have been saying. They found no value in the front facing camera, even though it did a great job of pictures and video. The good thing is that the better the competition, the better iPad becomes.

PS: they claim 10 hours battery life, but it only got 8.5 hours.

Ill have to watch the video. Kind of sad really. The apps will make it I suppose.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate to say this, as I even call BS when someone questions a review. But in this case, I won't take any review Engadget does on an Android based device seriously. The have had their noses so far up Apple's butt for so long that they will downplay anything that competes with an Apple product.

If their opinion ends up being reflected in other reviews, fine, but I'll put my faith in other less biased sites.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Superbike81 said:
I hate to say this, as I even call BS when someone questions a review. But in this case, I won't take any review Engadget does on an Android based device seriously. The have had their noses so far up Apple's butt for so long that they will downplay anything that competes with an Apple product.

If their opinion ends up being reflected in other reviews, fine, but I'll put my faith in other less biased sites.
What is this? I don't even...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you haven't followed Engadget for long I can understand your confusion. Even Engadget faithful followers will admit that they might as well rename the site iGadget instead as they are very biased towards Apple products.

I decided to read over the review anyways, and it wasn't as terrible I as expected them to be. I actually agreed with what they said about Honeycomb feeling like "Tron" in the way it's themed, I agree with that, and it's the first thing I said to myself when I used Honeycomb on a Nook Color a few weeks ago.

But then we see comments like this that basically takes away credibility from the review:

"there definitely some moments where we felt like the whole device was teetering on the brink of a total crash."

How did that even make it into a review? "I really felt like the world was going to end today" but guess what? IT DIDN'T! They kept using that tone too, "we felt..." "seemed like..." none of that belongs in a review on a major tech site.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone complaining about the price just doesn't understand what is going to happen and what ALWAYS happens (except for Apple).

Normally when a product is released that is "hyped" or highly sought after by even a small group of people, the price will be higher. This allows the company to make a little extra money off of the early adopters. A couple months later, they do a minor price drop, and then another price drop, and so on and so forth.

It works that way with just about everything, computers, cars, etc, etc, etc. Apple just doesn't normally follow this method, why else would my MacBook Pro 13" which has an old Core 2 Duo processor still cost $1000 or more? Every other company has drastically dropped the prices of their products that aren't using cutting edge technology. When Apple released the iPad, just about everyone (except for myself and a few others) complained that it was too expensive, but they just didn't realize what it takes to build these things. Now what Apple should have done is dropped the price by at least $100 on all iPad's now that it's a year old.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab did this, it sold fairly well for what it is, and even though it was selling decently well, they made their money off the early adopters, and then dropped the price so it would appeal to the mass market more. The same thing will happen with the Xoom and all of the other tablets (except the iPad), they will all drop their prices shortly after release. It's profiteering, and it sucks for early adopters, but we are willing to pay the extra to have it before everyone else.

Oh, and what Engadget didn't mention, is the scaling ability that Honeycomb has to run non-tablet specific apps. It does it AMAZINGLY well, it doesn't just put it in a little window like the iPad does, it actually scales everything up but maintains the quality. So while there may not be many tablet specific apps on the market now, you still have access to all of the other apps that are on them and they will be full screen and look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts