What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost incoming sound - facetime

kfindling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad2 yesterday so this may be an easy fix but I have no idea what happened. I used FaceTime this afternoon and it worked fine. I was using it again just now and it started fine and then the sound started to cut in and out and then finally stopped Altogether. They could still hear me but I couldn't hear them anymore. We tried hanging up and calling again but it made no difference.

Any suggestions on what to try would be appreciated!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the Mute switch, when I read the title of your post but, when I saw that it was 'cutting in and out' I realised that it couldn't be that. So my next suggestion is the 'cure most all problems' solution of a complete power-down of the iPad - press and hold the Power button until the slider control appears and then accept the offer to completely power down. That takes a few seconds. Once the screen has gone completely blank, press and hold the Power button again until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will power up - it takes about 15 seconds - and then see if the problem persists. When the iPad powers up, the operating system, iOS, does a whole load of 'housekeeping' and 'cleans up' the iPad's memory.

Tim

OP
K

kfindling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I was going to suggest the Mute switch, when I read the title of your post but, when I saw that it was 'cutting in and out' I realised that it couldn't be that. So my next suggestion is the 'cure most all problems' solution of a complete power-down of the iPad - press and hold the Power button until the slider control appears and then accept the offer to completely power down. That takes a few seconds. Once the screen has gone completely blank, press and hold the Power button again until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will power up - it takes about 15 seconds - and then see if the problem persists. When the iPad powers up, the operating system, iOS, does a whole load of 'housekeeping' and 'cleans up' the iPad's memory.

Tim

I rebooted and tried again and it worked for about 5min and then cut out again. This time I could still hear a bit but not make out words. It sounded like talking under water. So I rebooted again but this time the sound didn't work right from the start ( under water sound again). Any other suggestions? I'm thinking there might be something wrong with the IPad and I may need to just get a new one on warranty.

OP
K

kfindling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

I rebooted and tried again and it worked for about 5 min then cut out. This time I could still hear a bit of sound but it was like talking under water and I couldn't make out the words. I tried rebooting again but it didn't improve the sound at all. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking I may just have to take it back and get a new iPad on warranty.

Jasonbreaker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been reading your post and I've had the same problem. The sound like they 're underwater or to me it sounds like they're in
another room, their talking and you hear some sound but it's so faint that it can't be made out. I thought that it was also the mute but that made little difference. My solution was to break out my iPhone, call the person I was FaceTimeing and muted my
iPad 2. Sad isn't it....

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts