What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice 3G speed... Middle of nowhere!

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, my wife and I went out to some yard sales this morning. I had determined that there was nothing of interest to me at one particular yard sale, so i headed back to the car with our baby. I was playing around on the iPad, and the 3G seemed particularly speedy. I had to check to see if I had stumbled upon someones wifi signal. Nope, was just AT&T. I did a speed test and it came back at 2.8gigs! This was in Lusby, MD, which is the middle of nowhere... About 45 miles southeast of DC. Too bad they don't have that kind of speed everywhere!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In most cases the problem with 3G is the high number of users in a cell coverage. Out of major cities, the 3G is usually pretty good.

Deenybird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a speed test and it came back at 2.8gigs!
2.8 gigs? Maybe 2.8 gigs per hour, but cerainly not per second as is the standard unit of measure.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I did a speed test and it came back at 2.8gigs!
2.8 gigs? Maybe 2.8 gigs per hour, but cerainly not per second as is the standard unit of measure.

you mean 2.8mbps. those are speeds that the ATT network is "Capable" of sending out. Yet, ATT over sells their network meaning way to many people per cell tower. Since you were out in the middle of nowhere there probably a near by 3G cell tower but there isn't a large number of people in the area using 3G.

The area where I live is so over sold that durring the day when everyone is using 3g its slower than edge. Yet I just ran a speed test right now (1:43AM everyone probably sleeping) and im getting 2.4mbps!!!!

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I think everyone should start downloading the "Mark the Spot" app from ATT and constantly use it to select the option that data speeds are to slow in this area. I'm going to make a point every day to run a speed test and then use the mark the spot app to log slow speeds.

Let ATT know that your not happy with the speeds your getting.

OP
M

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, yeah... Of course i meant megabits, not gigabytes. In my area, which is not in a city, I usually get lower speeds... Usually under 1m, but I just ran a test and got almost 1.4m. I have full bars on ATT. Thats about the same as Verizon mobile broadband here, which is what I used to have on my desktop... We didn't used to have cable TV or Internet on mynroad, and too far out for DSL. They just ran cable about two years ago, and now I usually test our at around 17m on wifi. It's faster on the laptop if I actually go wired.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts