What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News stand

Newuser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While waiting for my wife's surgery to finish I thought I would purchase a magazine subscription from the app store . Which I did . I don't have 3G so i was on the hospitals wifi. Their wifi was so slow that maximum pc mag never finished downloading. No problem I thought I'll just finish dn loading when at home. But, nope that did not
work either. So I tried the standard stuff. Hard restart. Remove reinstall. And all the other B.S. which included imputing my my apple pw a 100 times all to no avail. I have nothing good to say about newsstand. Just another app to take my money and get nothing in return! What a POS.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry about your experience - you may need to resolve the issue w/ the Apple store, if desired?

I don't use Newstand and many others here do not either - if interested, some searching will bring up some threads/disappointments w/ this Apple app, which cannot be removed from your home screen (some have relegated it into an 'unused' folder or on a last home page of refuge).

For myself, I use the Zinio app and currently have just 4 magazine subscriptions - that one works fine - good luck on resolving your problem!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Newuser--Welcome to the forum as well. I have to agree with Giradman-regarding the Newstand-somewhat of a disappointment as well. I am not familiar with Zinio, but other members have used this app as well as going directly the magazine website that provides an app there. Good luck! :)

OP
N

Newuser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your responses. My mag shows up in news stand when I try to read it I get a grey screen that says restore purchases but of course after trying that that several times ie after hard reboot, delete mag and redownload, load from purchased item screen nothing works. Just a pic of the mag cover in news stand that I purchased but can't read.
In pc tems will call this a glitch. Which is better Than being borked. The app shows promise and is convienant to use it just does not work if it gets interrupted when being down loaded. At least that is my best guess. Seems like an apple DRM problem to me. I thought apple was suppose to have all the problems worked out of their programs before letting people use them. I like this iPad a lot and have had no other problems. Just really disappointed that the one of the items I was excited about does not work! Then the publishers wonder why people use bit torrents.....why because it works! Well next I'm going to dn load the kindle app and try dn loading books Fromm my local library. I'll keep you informed. Hope it works better.
-new apple user old pc guy-

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your responses........................ Well next I'm going to dn load the kindle app and try dn loading books Fromm my local library. I'll keep you informed. Hope it works better.
-new apple user old pc guy-

Well if you want to 'borrow' books from your local library(s), then use the OverDrive App - free download from the App store, but a frustrating experience, i.e. limited number of books on loan, a long waiting list, newest books not available, and short borrowing time (I've had to take 3 books out on multiple occasions just to get through them - and that took a number of months); so a frustrating experience for me to this point - I've almost stopped using the service.

And the problem will likely worsen because of the book publishers - they don't make $$ by letting libraries purchase a LOT of e-copies of their books to lend out - a number of the top publishers may either discontinue 'selling' books to libraries or at lest set a minimal amount of loans so the libraries have to re-purchase the book(s). Amazon of course is involved in this controversy - CHECK HERE - I've actually started to BUY hardcover books again, mainly from the History Book Club (my main interest, i.e. non-fiction); as a member I just ordered 4 books for $40 (a special membership deal) - these books (even the Kindle editions were twice the on Amazon!); plus, I can donate them to a local charity book sale and gain some satisfaction.

The upcoming 'book wars' will be interesting! Good luck on your initial problem and hope that your library borrowing will be a more pleasant experience than I have had to date - :)

OP
N

Newuser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, having a hard time finding books or they are already checked out. Guess I'll stick to buying hard copies. I'm lucky I live 1mile from a used book store with thousands of books. You get trade credit for old books you turn in also. What's old is new again! TThe store I go to is called The Old Book Barn in il. A huge place! At least I get what I pay for.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Despite the fact that it is in Newsstand, a magazine is still an app. You will have better luck taking your complaints about how a specific magazine is working to the developer. Apple may refund your purchase of the app and magazine, but they can do nothing much to fix problems with the app itself.

And that is the core difference between people who hate and like Newsstand. It depends on what magazine/app you bought.

Zinio is indeed a smoother experience, or at least a more consistent one. That is because it is one app, not half a dozen, all with different developers. I stopped using Zinio because the magazines are huge, and my little 16GB iPad was running out of space. If you've got the space to spare, and a fast internet connection for the downloads, Zinio is a pretty good deal. Well, if the mags you want are there.

I only have two magazines in Newsstand; MacLife and Distro. Other than not doing the automatic background download thing, they work fine (I keep wondering if I'm missing a setting somewhere).

Last edited:
OP
N

Newuser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, that makes a little more sense. The publisher should be getting and will be getting the complaints.

Most reactions

Latest posts