What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEWS App is Frozen...

IPADAlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The NEWS app has been frozen on our Ipad2 for about a week. We are running 9.0.2.

We have completely turned off and then rebooted the Ipad several times over the past days, but this had no effect - the same NEWS screen appears each time.

All our other apps work fine.

How can we get NEWS to un-freeze?

Thanks for any help,

Alan

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try force closing the app: double tap the Home button to reveal the app switcher, then slide the picture below the app icon towards the top of the screen.

When I open the app on my iPad, I find the same articles that I had before closing it last time. On top of those articles, I see something like "Checking for new stories". This can last for a few seconds. If the app hasn't been opened for a while, it will also show the number of new stories, when it has finished checking. Afterwards, there's "For you" again, and I can scroll upwards to take a look at the new content.

Last edited:
OP
I

IPADAlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, J.A., I've done that many times (should've made that clear in my post!). Though that's always worked for me with other apps, it's had zero effect for NEWS...

Alan

Try force closing the app: double tap the Home button to reveal the app switcher, then slide the picture below the app icon towards the top of the screen.

When I open the app on my iPad, I find the same articles that I had before closing it last time. On top of those articles, I see something like "Checking for new stories". This can last for a few seconds. If the app hasn't been opened for a while, it will also show the number of new stories, when it has finished checking. Afterwards, there's "For you" again, and I can scroll upwards to take a look at the new content.

OP
I

IPADAlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Issue Solved!: Today I opened the "frozen" News app and left it as-is for several minutes, and voila, it finally reset. I guess the IPad 2 is even slower than I assumed;) Hope this eventually helps someone else with older equipment.

Thanks,

Alan

Most reactions

Latest posts