What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 won't start, frozen wheel, tried MANY fixes, hard reset/nrm

Hopesina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To make a long story short, I turned off my ipad and when it "tries" to start it gets stuck on the apple logo for several minutes, then proceeds to the wheel, but this wheel is stuck and not going anywhere for hours.

To be clear and not waste time- No replies on how to reset the ipad (because that doesn't work and I know how to do that already) needed. When I reset it goes through the whole process of getting frozen again. This happened to me before, and I had to go through the whole recovery mode process and reset my ipad. Thankfully I had a backup a day away and only lost a few crucial documents and files that I could replicate within the following weeks. So no posts on how to recovery mode to factory reset are needed either.

I have not tried DFU because it seems like that is for installing different iOS or jailbreaking, neither which I am interested in even if my ipad did work.

My problem is it has been months since backing up because of itunes syncing problems. I don't want to get into those problems because I've exhausted those options and cloudsync was not an option that worked for me either, yet. My question is, has anyone experienced this problem and just let their ipad battery die, resulting in finally being able to start it again? That is the only possible solution I see to this problem without losing all my data besides letting the iPad try to start for days (have no tried past 8 hours). That or another way to successfully get the ipad past the frozen loading. (if I try connecting to itunes normally (without NRM) it gives the error "iTunes could not connect to the iPad "xxxxxxxxxx" because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad beforei t can be used with iTunes.) Since there is a black screen with a frozen wheel I've tried to input my password as if there was the lock screen in case of a visual error; that does not work.

My ipad was never jailbroken, however, I do own literally thousands of apps and a lot of them are installed. Of course this could be the culprit, but my ipad runs fine normally until completely turning off. This did not happen pre-iOS 5.0.

In conclusion: does anyone see a possible solution that doesn't involve letting my ipad battery die which could take weeks (whether it is off or kept in frozen wheel mode) that doesn't involve a factory restore? Perhaps there can be something done in DFU that I am not aware of. Since I've done this factory restore before (after first freezing months ago), the fact that restore didn't even fix the problem that is apparently still here (CANT TURN OFF THE IPAD ELSE FREEZE/UNABLE TO START after FAIL BOOT) , concerns me greatly... Going to an apple store could be done in the coming months but not now, due to schedule and travelling. By that time, I might as well just buy a new ipad if all they can do is restore factory defaults anyway. Help Please!

p.s. When I submitted the O.P, formatting didn't go through at all. I apologize if it is bad.

Last edited:

Bobcb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a problem with the screen orientation stuck in landscape format. I tried the usual fix but no joy. I then tried to restore the factory settings and had the wheel stuck all evening (about 5 hours). The on/off switch wouldn' work either so I left the iPad on all night to run the battery down and when I plugged the charger in this morning everything was working correctly.

To make a long story short, I turned off my ipad and when it "tries" to start it gets stuck on the apple logo for several minutes, then proceeds to the wheel, but this wheel is stuck and not going anywhere for hours.

To be clear and not waste time- No replies on how to reset the ipad (because that doesn't work and I know how to do that already) needed. When I reset it goes through the whole process of getting frozen again. This happened to me before, and I had to go through the whole recovery mode process and reset my ipad. Thankfully I had a backup a day away and only lost a few crucial documents and files that I could replicate within the following weeks. So no posts on how to recovery mode to factory reset are needed either.

I have not tried DFU because it seems like that is for installing different iOS or jailbreaking, neither which I am interested in even if my ipad did work.

My problem is it has been months since backing up because of itunes syncing problems. I don't want to get into those problems because I've exhausted those options and cloudsync was not an option that worked for me either, yet. My question is, has anyone experienced this problem and just let their ipad battery die, resulting in finally being able to start it again? That is the only possible solution I see to this problem without losing all my data besides letting the iPad try to start for days (have no tried past 8 hours). That or another way to successfully get the ipad past the frozen loading. (if I try connecting to itunes normally (without NRM) it gives the error "iTunes could not connect to the iPad "xxxxxxxxxx" because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad beforei t can be used with iTunes.) Since there is a black screen with a frozen wheel I've tried to input my password as if there was the lock screen in case of a visual error; that does not work.

My ipad was never jailbroken, however, I do own literally thousands of apps and a lot of them are installed. Of course this could be the culprit, but my ipad runs fine normally until completely turning off. This did not happen pre-iOS 5.0.

In conclusion: does anyone see a possible solution that doesn't involve letting my ipad battery die which could take weeks (whether it is off or kept in frozen wheel mode) that doesn't involve a factory restore? Perhaps there can be something done in DFU that I am not aware of. Since I've done this factory restore before (after first freezing months ago), the fact that restore didn't even fix the problem that is apparently still here (CANT TURN OFF THE IPAD ELSE FREEZE/UNABLE TO START after FAIL BOOT) , concerns me greatly... Going to an apple store could be done in the coming months but not now, due to schedule and travelling. By that time, I might as well just buy a new ipad if all they can do is restore factory defaults anyway. Help Please!

p.s. When I submitted the O.P, formatting didn't go through at all. I apologize if it is bad.

Most reactions

Latest posts