What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie to ipads

PamEDT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to all-
I just acquired a new to me ipad. It is a 9.7" ipad, MD513 C/A The version is 10.3.3 . I believe it's generation 4 ? I haven't located a user guide for it yet.
My Mac background is- i have a Macbook Pro, from the 2010's, high Sierra. I have an iphone 6, and my "new" ipad, I would like to use the ipad for reading, and as a carry on computer.
I get along quite well with the computer, bu i'm flumoxed by the ipad. I thought it would be an easy first step to load a few books on it, but I'm even having trouble with that.
I'll stop there, and just say Hello, and ask my book question in the appropriate column.
Thanks for being there, pam

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello to all-
I just acquired a new to me ipad. It is a 9.7" ipad, MD513 C/A The version is 10.3.3 . I believe it's generation 4 ? I haven't located a user guide for it yet.
My Mac background is- i have a Macbook Pro, from the 2010's, high Sierra. I have an iphone 6, and my "new" ipad, I would like to use the ipad for reading, and as a carry on computer.
I get along quite well with the computer, bu i'm flumoxed by the ipad. I thought it would be an easy first step to load a few books on it, but I'm even having trouble with that.
I'll stop there, and just say Hello, and ask my book question in the appropriate column.
Hello Pam, Welcome to the Forum! You can download a guide for your iPad in the Books App (already installed on your device), but if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask here.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello to all-
Hi Pam - welcome to the forum! Well, you have an 'ancient' iPad (summary below from EveryMac) which can be upgraded to an old iOS, 10.3.4 (my iPad is on the current version, 16.3) - check out the iPad Manuals site to see if one is useful to you. Also give us some info on the type of books you want to put on your device, i.e. free, purchased, or others? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 9.08.01 PM.png

OP
P

PamEDT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope it's alright if i answer here. If not, please let me know. Thank you to both of you for your answers. I did find the user guide on the ipad, and am reading through it. I get books from various sources- the library site, (Overdrive or Libby) and the Internet Archive. I buy books from several sites as well. I gather the books together in calibre- an older version to go with the older mac that it lives on. I've been putting the books onto a kindle, but I've been dissatisfied with it. It seems that calibre and ipad don't play well together.... I tried adding the book to the Mac (out of calibre) , and move the book into the ipad via USB, but no luck. I also tried wirelessly, but no joy.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you use Calibre to export the books in eBook format you can use various methods to copy them to the iPad and import to iBooks.

Probably the easiest would be to email them to yourself. There are other method available, but I can't remember which ones will be compatible with your iOS version. Email has always worked as an awkward but usable method.

Just tap on the book in the email, and it should offer to import it into the Books app.

OP
P

PamEDT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you to twerppoet and all again, I was able to set up the email, and could email myself the books.
I obviously have much to learn about the ipad, although it is a senior citizen !

Thanks again, i'm sure i'll be back in touch to ask other questions . I really appreciate the help.

pam

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPads are not that hard to use. If you have experience with a iPhone the iPad is very similer. Welcome to the forums Pam.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Enjoy your books. I actually liked the older version of iBooks more than the current one. Not for the capabilities. Just a more obvious UI, and some of the view options have changed. Still pretty good.

Most reactions

Latest posts