What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New User iPad 2 Review

MHG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK now here is my review from using the Apple iPad 2 for 24 hours:

Apple iPad 2 Reviewed

Apple iPad is a rather strange device when you first see it. Its ultra thin, has a face side surface area which is roughly equal to that of a small 9" netbook, and has just one button and a screen apart from a couple of side controls. What does the iPad DO ? According to Apple, its one of the world's fastest tablet computers with an interface that anybody can pick up. What would you DO with such a tablet ? Well in my case, I tried converting it into a productivity unit - a Personal Digital Assistant. Bad idea it seems.

Well for starters, I decided to pit the iPad against its #1 rival when it comes to being used as a PDA - the humble netbook. Oops this is gonna get ugly. The right contender would be one of those 6-cell 10.5hr backup netbooks with 2-3USB ports, 160-250GB HDD and 1GB-2GB RAM and Windows 7 or (as preferred by me) some mobile friendly flavour of linux. Where I come from (India) on a cost to feature basis, the iPad 2 16GB WiFi only model costs 2x as much as a dual core atom netbook. There goes the whole notion of being cheap. Productivity apps - they're plenty on a netbook. There are just so many of them that I use on linux, it seems almost unfair to compare an age old desktop platform with zillions of quality free apps to a brand new tablet platform majority of whose good apps are paid and these too simply cannot compete with 20 years of time tested development work.

And now for the actual features when compared with the netbook - you cannot replace a physical keyboard ever, but the iPad does a decent job. The touch screen is a novelty, but I don't see it adding enough productivity points to the iPad. I mean its fun playing virtual piano on my iPad - I can carry it around anywhere and start playing and don't need to lug around my heavy casio keyboard wherever I go. But all those are just "toys" at the end of the day. I also have a synthesizer on my laptop which uses physical keys for input. Its good enough for composing songs. Resources - a netbook has bluetooth and wifi. This iPad has only WiFi. 160-250GB of disk space against 16GB on the iPad. Obviously a much faster system when running on a 1.6GHz atom dual core with 2GB of RAM the netbook beats the iPad on performance as well. I could buy an extra batterypack with the cash saved by buying a netbook, an android "feature phone" like the Samsung Galaxy Y, a couple of batteries for the phone as well and still have money leftover for a portable HDD. Could use the phone for 3G or EDGE based internet access by attaching it to the netbook when there is no wifi around. And all the extra batteries only make me happier when travelling.

iPad and gaming - this too is something which the tablet cannot compete with the netbook. Small fun games have existed on the netbook for long enough - you only need to visit miniclip.com for that. Apart from this it can also play some REAL games, like WoW/DoTA and CS:CZ. For console gamers, there are plenty of emulators of nintendo hand-helds, old atari and sega consoles as well as the PS1 for windows. Hmmm... tough luck netbook!

Finally for developers - I shouldn't even talk about this to avoid any further embarrassment for apple's latest toy.

So yeah, guys who wanted to buy an iPad for productivity - WOULD BE OUT OF THEIR MINDS. But I need to be fair - the iPad was never meant to be a productivity device, though apple tried to market it that way. Everything that does well in the market has a reason behind doing so, and the iPad is unbeatable when it comes to being a family entertainment device. Full fledged computers are simply too hard for the average tech-noob moms to comprehend. Whatever I said that can be done on a netbook - all that is for the tech minded. I don't see my mom or my dad being able to do all that. And man is sort of a social animal. We're surrounded by people of all types. So somewhere, certain kinds of people need to have their concerns addressed. The iPad does this beautifully.

Right now, the iPad is doing its rounds in my house and everyone's loving it. Its perfect in multiple ways. Dad can check email in less than a minute since the device starts up almost instantaneously. Mom can check recipes online while in the kitchen, since the iPad is so tiny and easy fit anywhere. Sis loves playing games on it, and everyone finds it convenient for almost every task associated with the iPad, be it watching movies while travelling or listening to music. It does its job perfectly as an oversized iPod. Being a tablet that's slightly larger than a paperback and slightly smaller than a magazine, its an amazing device to read books on. And its perfect for making Skype calls thanks to its dual front and rear cameras and the free skype app. With apple, everything is simple and easy for the target audience. I personally find iTunes to be a bloat, and refuse to use a media player that organizes my songs because I keep all my music well organized in folders following a strict hierarchy. But for everyone else, its awesome. Synching the iPad to iTunes is $#!^ easy on dad's laptop since everything is just point and click. For all the family moments, the iPad acts as an amazing digital photo album (though it could do with USB ports to support more memory...) and is extreme fun when travelling.

To conclude, I hoped to make the iPad my next awesome productivity device. And iPhailed. Instead I saw it fulfilling a role I never intended it to fill. Am I satisfied ? Well technically no. But am I happy ? Since it made everyone else at home happy, it makes me happy as well :)

OP
M

MHG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the move. And I hope nobody is offended by all that ipad bashing initially :D

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear your impressions after a few months. I've had my iPad since the day they were released about 18 months ago and although I take a lot of what it can do for granted now, I'm still amazed by some of the things I discover every few days. Having owned almost every form factor of computing device that's been invented I thought I'd seen it all. 24 months ago I never imagined that I would have a device that I almost refuse to go anywhere without.

I suspect as time goes by your iPad will continue to become a much bigger part of your life. It kind of sneaks up on you that way. :)

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
I'd be interested to hear your impressions after a few months. I've had my iPad since the day it they were released about 18 months ago and although I take a lot of what it can do for granted now, I'm still amazed by some of the things I discover every few days. Having owned almost every form factor of computing device that's been invented I thought I'd seen it all. 24 months ago I never imagined that I would have a device that I almost refuse to go anywhere without.

I suspect as time goes by your iPad will continue to become a much bigger part of your life. It kind of sneaks up on you that way. :)

I'll second what Rich has said, I learn to do more things with my iPad on a regular basis, normally completely unexpectedly. I've never had a computer of any form factor that has taken over so much of my life, both at home and at work.

The Archangel

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess it's fair to say that it does have some shortcomings, as all devices do. But, I'd disagree with the productivity thing. Except for massive spreadsheets or other complicated file processing tasks, the iPad IMO can do quite a few productive things. The keyboard and touch interface aren't novelties, they are the way of the future. We are finding that the laptops are getting used less and less around our house. It's not just gaming and stuff either - we all seem to use the iPad for productive things too! I will agree though that the iPad is never going to be a software development device or anything like that.

Still, it's pretty amazing.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the OP more or less nailed most of the strengths and weaknesses of the iPad. An 11-13" notebook is a better "productivity" device. I have two year old HP 11" notebook running Windows 7 that on many counts is a better "productivity" device. Battery not as good but I can take along a replacement battery. Screen not as beautiful but I can have multiple windows active simultaneously. About twice the weight of the iPad but 2.5 lbs won't break my arm. And most importantly, I can run native MS Office software that I need in my job. And even comparing the iPad with some other tablets, it comes up short in the "productivity" category. If I were purchasing a tablet purely for that purpose, I'd take a close look at the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet with better features out of the box for business productivity.

On the other hand, like the OP, I purchased the iPad in large part because I can share it with my wife and seven year old daughter. On that score it's far better than my HP notebook. Almost no "system administration" required. Likewise, my daughter figured out how to use it more or less on her own in about half an hour. And she loves "her" apps.

Even on that score, however, I found the iPad disappointing in several important ways.

() No way to create multiple "accounts" for individual family members.
() The workaround is to place my daughter's and wife's individual apps on their own screens. But even that approach is problematic because...
() An icon for a particular app cannot be placed on more than one screen. My daughter moves Angry Birds to her home screen; I move it back to mine. :)
() No way to easily segregate and password protect individual email accounts.

In short, the OP claims that Apple has marketed the iPad as a "productivity" device and it doesn't live up to those requirements. Frankly, I haven't found Apple to be dishonest in that regard. I didn't expect it to be an adequate device for "productivity," at least not the kind of "productivity" I need (which is admittedly a very individual set of requirements). On the other hand, I do find that while the iPad has many pluses as a "family" entertainment and educational device, it has some important limitations, most of which come from the reliance on an OS designed for a purely personal device (a phone) for a device that is more likely to be used by several family members.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where and how has iPad been marketed to give anyone with sense this impression:

"There goes the whole notion of being cheap."

Most reactions

Latest posts