What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to iPads, help needed...

RipGroove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am not a follower of Apple products but having recently got a GoPro camera and discovering my current PC & laptop just aren't up to movie editing I'm thinking an iPad might just be capable of the simple movie edits i require. So i have some questions:

1. What's the current range of iPad? Is this right?

iPad - iPad 2 - iPad 3 - iPad Retina

2. Am i right in thinking each iPad is about twice as fast as its previous?

3. Does iMovie have a maximum movie length or file size it can deal with?

4. Which iPads are capable of 1080p movie editing and exporting?

5. Is a Wi-Drive a viable option to increase iPad storage space or should I be aiming for a 64GB model as movie files can be large?

6. Is the UK Apple store the cheapest place to get one? (iPad Retina WiFi 64GB = £559)

Just to add before anyone mentions laptops and desktops for movie editing it seems that with a £500 ish budget the only Macbook Pro i would get is an '06 model off ebay and i don't want another windows desktop PC as they go out of date way to quick and loose value quickly.

Essentially im after a quick way to take my movies from my GoPro via a camera connectivity kit, make some simple edits (trimming, titles, slo-mo scenes, music etc), upload to YouTube and then export to camera roll and ultimately back to a PC for putting back on SD cards that will plug and play directly into my TV.

7. Will an iPad + iMovie achieve this, if so which iPad model can i get away with using? As id rather not spend out on the top banana unless i have to.

Thanks in advance :)

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
367 views and no replies? :-(

With respect, surely you must realise that you have posed in one thread a relatively large number of questions (and opinions not being a question) which would take, IMO, some effort for people to answer. It would have taken you quite some time to come to a realisation, think up, and collate your questions into your post. Do you think it may be a bit unreasonable to expect people to devote as much time to give careful thought to and answer every one of your detailed posers? Breaking down your questions into clearer bite-size pieces would probably be the way to go. There are people on this forum willing to help.
Quoting the number of views with no replies may be a bit petulant and not a great incentive to reply to, do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only thing I can comment on is the current range. The iPad 1 is not available new anymore. The range is the iPad 2, iPad 4, and the iPad mini. You can find other models used or refurbished but that's about it for brand new. The iPad 3 has the retina display, there was never an iPad 3 without it. The iPad 4 as we call it is really just like the 3 with a few speed improvements and a different connector. As for speed, I dunno about saying each model is twice as fast as the previous but generally the hardware does improve with each release.

Can't help ya on the movie editing stuff.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps others are like me, and are not responding for being a bit puzzled at your premise and wondering if you have painted yourself into a corner. Your desktop and laptops cannot do simple video editing?! (I cannot help but wonder how old these must be.) You are not interested in suggestions regarding another PC or laptop (regardless of whether they are better suited for video editing or less expensive than an iPad)? Your budget does not allow purchase of a mac, macbookair, macbookpro, etc... Given these constraints, it sounds as if your only solution is an iPad (assuming you have dismissed android tablets).

A few thoughts, for what it is worth...

a) I don't believe that any external storage solution (drop box, widrive, usb flash drive) can replace or duplicate on-board storage. Given this, and your desire to work with large file sizes (videos) I suspect you will find great value in the larger capacity iPads.

b) I have had mixed success importing videos via camera connection kit. I believe that success (or lack thereof) may be based upon file type. The iPad has inherent limitations with regards to video formats which may limit the types of videos importable via camera connection kit. Make sure you understand what format the gopro saves (I am personally unsure), and make sure that it is a type importable via the camera connection kit.

c) don't forget to include the cost of accessories in your budget (cases, cover, camera connetion kits, spare chargers). Apple accessories can be expensive. In the end, you may find that you spend more money than anticpated and may end up wondering if that money might have been better spent on a macbook air.

Like most around here, I am sure you will enjoy your iPad if you choose to push ahead.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
oberkc said:
Perhaps others are like me, and are not responding for being a bit puzzled at your premise and wondering if you have painted yourself into a corner. Your desktop and laptops cannot do simple video editing?! (I cannot help but wonder how old these must be.) You are not interested in suggestions regarding another PC or laptop (regardless of whether they are better suited for video editing or less expensive than an iPad)? Your budget does not allow purchase of a mac, macbookair, macbookpro, etc... Given these constraints, it sounds as if your only solution is an iPad (assuming you have dismissed android tablets).

A few thoughts, for what it is worth...

a) I don't believe that any external storage solution (drop box, widrive, usb flash drive) can replace or duplicate on-board storage. Given this, and your desire to work with large file sizes (videos) I suspect you will find great value in the larger capacity iPads.

b) I have had mixed success importing videos via camera connection kit. I believe that success (or lack thereof) may be based upon file type. The iPad has inherent limitations with regards to video formats which may limit the types of videos importable via camera connection kit. Make sure you understand what format the gopro saves (I am personally unsure), and make sure that it is a type importable via the camera connection kit.

c) don't forget to include the cost of accessories in your budget (cases, cover, camera connetion kits, spare chargers). Apple accessories can be expensive. In the end, you may find that you spend more money than anticpated and may end up wondering if that money might have been better spent on a macbook air.

Like most around here, I am sure you will enjoy your iPad if you choose to push ahead.

Have you seen this thread on network attached storage? If you set it up correctly, you can access it from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.
http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/74006-personal-cloud-storage.html

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you seen this thread on network attached storage? If you set it up correctly, you can access it from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.
I am, by no means, experienced with the vast and various cloud, networked, and shared storage options. My limited experience, however, suggests that such capabilities do, indeed, provide remote access to files.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the original point of this question and answer was related to the value of RAM. As I understand most apps, one has to share documents and files with each app in order to open and edit a file with that app. Doing so, I believe, loads a copy somewhere onto the on-board RAM. If this is accurate, then the value of remote storage does not necessarily to substitute for on-board RAM.

Perhaps others can confirm or deny.

OP
R

RipGroove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with desktop editing software is that its usually full blown software as its written for a desktop PC. There doesn't seem to be much of a choice of very simple desktop software it seems you have the choice of all or nothing. My desktop isn't too ancient (3.2ghz dual core, 2GB RAM, 512mb Nvidia GFX ) Which is fine for most things but for a decent video editing suite you're looking at system requirements of 3Ghz + (Quad core), 8GB RAM and 512/1TB of HD graphics. The beauty of an iPad is that although its much less powerfull the software was written for the exact hardware found inside, so put simply, it works.

As far as I'm aware the camera i have shoots in an ipad friendly format, but if that wasn't the case the camera comes with software that will convert the files to different formats.

I'll agree that onboard storage is always better than a NAS or Cloud so I think given my current budget I'll get an iPad 2 64GB for now, and if the whole thing does what I need it to then i'll chop it in for an iPad 4.

Also another reason for steering clear of a laptop for editing is because again due to the complexity of desktop editing software you do need a lot of screen real estate. And again although the iPads screen is smaller than a Macbook Pro the apps found on it are written and designed for that screen so again it should work out OK.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware the camera i have shoots in an ipad friendly format, but if that wasn't the case the camera comes with software that will convert the files to different formats.

I have no doubt that your gopro video format can be converted on a pc or mac (if needed), but your original stated requirement was to "take my movies from my GoPro via a camera connectivity kit" which tends to suggest that they need to be compatible as created by the GoPro (and also tends to support need for on-board memory). If you are now willing to first load them to a laptop/desktop then to the iPad, then I am certain you will be able to do this.

It sounds as if you are convinced that the iPad is the best solution for your needs. I am sure that you can figure out how to get files from the GoPro to the iPad (via pc if necessary). Just be aware that the process in iOS for transferring files is different than you are used to if your experience is based on PC or Mac. The camera connection kit capability is pretty limited in capabiliy (in my mind) so just be prepared to be flexible in your approach towards getting those files to your iPad.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
RipGroove said:
Yes your Majesty...

That is not appropriate to respond like that to members who are trying to help you. I would have to agree with The OB, that your post has a multitude of questions within. While you wait for responses we encourage you to use the search function for some of your questions. In addition, we ask for you to please take a moment to review the Rules as well.

Thank you.
Ski...iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

OP
R

RipGroove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no doubt that your gopro video format can be converted on a pc or mac (if needed), but your original stated requirement was to "take my movies from my GoPro via a camera connectivity kit" which tends to suggest that they need to be compatible as created by the GoPro (and also tends to support need for on-board memory). If you are now willing to first load them to a laptop/desktop then to the iPad, then I am certain you will be able to do this.

It sounds as if you are convinced that the iPad is the best solution for your needs. I am sure that you can figure out how to get files from the GoPro to the iPad (via pc if necessary). Just be aware that the process in iOS for transferring files is different than you are used to if your experience is based on PC or Mac. The camera connection kit capability is pretty limited in capabiliy (in my mind) so just be prepared to be flexible in your approach towards getting those files to your iPad.

Seems from this video that I can import direct from my camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Bx_x9K9SA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But that said, there will be some pre editing done on a laptop (some trimming or slow motion etc) so as long as there's an easy enough way to get files from my laptop to the iPad (via memory card maybe?) I should be able to use iMovie for laying out the storyboard.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seems from this video that I can import direct from my camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Bx...e_gdata_player

Yes, it does. Thanks for posting. We both learned something.

so as long as there's an easy enough way to get files from my laptop to the iPad (via memory card maybe?)

Others have posted success transferring videos via memory card, but I have had no luck with this. Instead, I use a couple of different methods, depending on which app I want to use to exploit the video. One involves usb cables. Another is dropbox. A third method is through itunes sync of my device. Since these other methods work for me, I have seen no value in figuring out why my camera connection kit failed to read videos from my SD card.

So long as you are flexible and are willing to learn the ways of the iPad, you will be fine.

OP
R

RipGroove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know if sending my clips with itunes will degrade the quality of the videos at all? Could you also explain your usb method please? :)

Most reactions

Latest posts