What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to calendar, options how to set up best?

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have just been using iPad cal and have lots useful info logged. All in blue though and not multiple coloured and on sep calendars as shown in the Apple demo units in their shop.
I think I need to set up a cal on my pc and sync to it. So, question...should I use my pc exchange cal and sync to this but if I do will I lose all entries already on iPad cal?
OR should I set up a new internet cal by subscribing to one of the listed popular cals and sync with this? And will my iPad entries be safe or lost?

So I guess I have a blank ish starting point and ask what to do. I would just like a few colour options to distinguish events, maybe five or six colours/cals, not a big business function set up.
Thanks
Stephen

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have just been using iPad cal and have lots useful info logged. All in blue though and not multiple coloured and on sep calendars as shown in the Apple demo units in their shop.
I think I need to set up a cal on my pc and sync to it. So, question...should I use my pc exchange cal and sync to this but if I do will I lose all entries already on iPad cal?
OR should I set up a new internet cal by subscribing to one of the listed popular cals and sync with this? And will my iPad entries be safe or lost?

So I guess I have a blank ish starting point and ask what to do. I would just like a few colour options to distinguish events, maybe five or six colours/cals, not a big business function set up.
Thanks
Stephen

Good to hear from you. Have a look at twerppoet's post here..

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/19581-stock-calendar-app-color-questions.html

Hope this helps, but if there's still a problem, don't hesitate to get back to us...we *love* iPads....

Enjoy your iPad....

Tim
Scotland - wow, sunny two days in a row - I must be hallucinating ....

OP
S

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Good to hear from you. Have a look at twerppoet's post here..

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/19581-stock-calendar-app-color-questions.html

Hope this helps, but if there's still a problem, don't hesitate to get back to us...we *love* iPads....

Enjoy your iPad....

Tim
Scotland - wow, sunny two days in a row - I must be hallucinating ....

Thanks Tim. But leaves the assumption I am to set up a google account and then a calendar. And does not say if I would lose details already on my iPad cal! That's important to me as don't wish to lose all work entered. And would I be better to simply use my exchange cal already on my pc? So many questions i know :eek:
Thanks.
Stephen

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. But leaves the assumption I am to set up a google account and then a calendar. And does not say if I would lose details already on my iPad cal! That's important to me as don't wish to lose all work entered. And would I be better to simply use my exchange cal already on my pc? So many questions i know :eek:
Thanks.
Stephen

Hmm, I never thought of that.

So I tested it out. I had to turn off all my calendars to force the Calendar app to make another local calendar. I'm not sure I ever had one, since I've been syncing online calendars pretty much from the beginning.

The answer is, when you set up your Google account it will ask you if you want to Delete the local calendar events. Tell it to Keep them. It warns that you may end up with Duplicates, but this did not happens. Probably because I also told it to remove all my calendar events when I disabled the online calendars.

After the GMail calendars showed up I played just a bit more. It is possible to tap on the local event and change the calendar to the Gmail one. This way you can transition, one at a time, all your events to the more flexible online calendar.

I can't vouch for using your PC Exchange calendar, but it should be the same, with the same warnings. Unless your PC Exchange calendar syncing with an online service, I recommend setting up and using Google Calendars instead. This is a much more flexible and portable setup.

Along with the the link that Tim provided, take a look at this one. It has more details on setting up GMail with multiple calendars, which you are probably going to want, if you go that route.

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...tance/18578-ipad-multiple-e-mail-sending.html

One more thing: You can set up a default calendar for new events under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> Default Calendar. Of course you'll need more than one calendar before there will be any to choose from.

Last edited:

ipadidiot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google calendar entries sync - times not??

Hi,

I have just sync'd my Google calendar with the pre-loaded calendar on ipad. Seemed to work fine except that the ipad is 8 hours out??

I'm sure this has something to do with the fact I'm living in HK (8 hours ahead of GMT). Although my ipad reflects that i'm in Hong Kong and Google calendar knows I am GMT + 8.

Any ideas????

Thanks
Matt

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
ipadidiot said:
Hi,

I have just sync'd my Google calendar with the pre-loaded calendar on ipad. Seemed to work fine except that the ipad is 8 hours out??

I'm sure this has something to do with the fact I'm living in HK (8 hours ahead of GMT). Although my ipad reflects that i'm in Hong Kong and Google calendar knows I am GMT + 8.

Any ideas????

Thanks
Matt

You've probably already checked this, but go into Settingd >> General >> Date and Time. If you have a 3G iPad time will probably be set automatcaly. If not make sure it has you in the right time zone.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also have a look at

'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Time Zone Support', -> here you can set up the option to force the Calendar to use a Time Zone that's not your current location....in case you're away on business but need to be reminded of the correct times for, say, conference calls back to your home location. So perhaps you've got that set for GMT....

twerppoet is up late........

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I have set up google calendar. Was disappointed to see I have to set up yet another email account that I shall never use for email though, didnt realise this!
Before I sync cal with iPad I wanted to check that this google mail will not in any way now start to impact my iPad email accounts?
I have two email accunts on ipad currently, one imap and one pop which finally are all working great. Don't wish to undo my previous work now! Simply want cal to sync. Could anyone confirm this to me?
Thanks
S

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you add the GMail account to your iPad you will have a chance to turn off the email if you want. Even if you do not, it will simply create anothe set of folders and inbox. It will not interfere with your current email account. Make sure your primary account is default in Default in Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> Default Account. This will make sure you send mail from that account when in the All Inboxe folder.

If you have a local calenda on the iPad, you will get a chance to erace or keep those events. Pay attention to the warnings and Keep them. It will not replace or intrfere with calendars synced from other accounts. A new calendar is created.

You can hide and view your calendars using the calendar menu at the top left.

ipadidiot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also have a look at

'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Time Zone Support', -> here you can set up the option to force the Calendar to use a Time Zone that's not your current location....in case you're away on business but need to be reminded of the correct times for, say, conference calls back to your home location. So perhaps you've got that set for GMT....

twerppoet is up late........

Tim
Scotland

Thanks Tim, you were quite right about the 'Tiem Zone Support' - this was set to London. Unfortunately, after I changed it all of the calendar entries disappeared?! I've tried going through the whole syncing process again but it doesn't seem to be working.
This is driving me mental!!
Matt

OP
S

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other thing on the google cal - is it possible 'take out' night times I.e. 12pm through to 7am? Or a selected number hours on the cal.
I am unlikely to ever have need to add meetings in here and it makes cal days longer to spin though? I do this with work pc cals.
Thanks
S

OP
S

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, tried setting up g cal on iPad and got the unable to verify message. Do I need to go into iTunes to set a sync on cals option? Also I have an option to have SSL on or off. No idea what this is but set on at moment.
Help appreciated...
S

OP
S

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I have sorted it all - to a point !
I had in error had server as m.gmail.com instead of m.google.com so that corrected and the cal loaded and synced.
HOWEVER, it ONLY shows events that are my main cal name and NOT the other colours I had loaded. So how do I get these other cal events in other colours to sync also? Or should I re load them all...will try that now.
Thanks
S

Last edited:
OP
S

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I managed to syn all cals now, colours not as ideally wanted for each cal but I can see that it's an iPad issue !
Can live with it as it is and the football events are at least in green, very luckily!
S

Most reactions

Latest posts