What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Synching calendars - mission impossible

haf63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been trying to synch my work calendar to an ipad and s3 androind phone and it seems like an impossible task - despite all my efforts.
Synching my work (Lotus Notes) calendar with the ipad is easy and works great through instructions provided by our IT team.
Next step is to synch my ipad calendar with android so I thought I'd use google calendar as a way of doing it.
Added google calendar to ipad via google instructions and any new googe cal entry is visible in the ipad so that all works fine.
However no matter waht i do i can't get any of my ipad entries (new ones or Lotus Notes synched ones) to appear in google cal and hence be visible on my samsung phone.
And yes I'm aware that i wouldn't have this problem with an iphone but I really like my S3 so thats a non-starter.

I've researched this quite alot and one thing i picked up (not sure if accurate) is that the ipad calendar doesn't actually contain my Notes calendar entries but is just a 'view' of them? Not sure if this even relevant.

It is possible to synch my Notes Calendar with the S3 phone directly but that involves installing lots of securty apps on the phone and these make it unuse-able so would rather not do that - though running out of alternatives hence trying here.

Any help/pointers appreciated even though I suspect there won't be many Android fans on this forum :)

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am a little fuzzy in my recollection of how I did all this, and don't have my iPad around for reference, but I recall a few points:

- Once you have created the google account, make sure you choose to sync calendars.
- If syncing calendars is not an option, you may have to set up google as an "exchange" account (rather than setting the gmail account using the native option in iPad), if you have not already done so
- Even if set up as an exchange account and sync settings are correct, go into calendar settings to make sure you are looking at (and editing) google calendar, rather than the local iPad calendar.

Yes, there are android fans around here. I sync my iPad calendar with google web, outlook, and android.

I also understand that the google support of exchange may soon be ending. If so, we may be forced to abandon the native iOS calendar and use a different app, such as vCAL if we want to continue syncing with our google accounts. Even now, this may be a better option.

idbvideo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to sync my outlook calander with a Goole Nexus 7 and couldnt - it was the nail in the coffin so I stayed with IOS cos it worked and bought an iPad mini instead. Sorry it doesn't help though.

OP
H

haf63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback 'oberk' and i did try many of the things you sugegsted, with varying degrees of success. In teh end I stumbled across a windows app (calsynch 1.8) that synchs notes calendar with google on a regular basis so I am trying that for a while. It means I can synch direct between Notes and Android and not have to go through IOS. Will see how it goes..

Most reactions