What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Apple and just got an iPad

newbieputerbuf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty psyched that I was lucky enough to purchase a 64B iPad, but I've got a lot to learn, as I've never owned an Apple product. One of my first things I'd like to understand is how to get files (Word docs, PDFs, Excel, etc) to the iPad. I understand you can move pics and movies via itunes, but what about files?

Also, I'd like an App that allows me to view and ideally edit Word and Excel docs. Is there an App out there for this?

Oh - is there any way to attach pics to email? I haven't been able to figue how.

Thanks,

Dave

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Welcome!

To view and use MS Office files you would need to get the iWork apps.

Pages = Word
Numbers = Excel
Keynote = Powerpoint

You can get them on the app store for $10 each..... So $30 for the set, cheap compared to MS Office.

I am a Windows guy (love 7) but use iPhone and now iPad. I do not use the iWork stuff as I seldom work in MS docs, I do use an app called "Documents to go" to view and do basics to MS docs. Both of these options have their ways of getting the files onto the iPad. If you do a lot of work in MS Office files it would be best for you to get the iWork stuff.....

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to start with the Apple iWork trio which will allow you to read Word and Excel. You can edit files within reason, but cannot export as MS files. There are several pdf readers out there, some are very good.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Just to be clear, you do export MS files in docs to go. You simply set up a folder on your PC to sync with Documents to go, and the changes you make on the iPad or iPhone are put there on your next sync. I have used Documents to go since mt Palm days.....

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty psyched that I was lucky enough to purchase a 64B iPad, but I've got a lot to learn, as I've never owned an Apple product. One of my first things I'd like to understand is how to get files (Word docs, PDFs, Excel, etc) to the iPad. I understand you can move pics and movies via itunes, but what about files?

Also, I'd like an App that allows me to view and ideally edit Word and Excel docs. Is there an App out there for this?

Oh - is there any way to attach pics to email? I haven't been able to figue how.

Thanks,

Dave

Get the iPad GoodReader app for $0.99

With GoodReader you can download music, video, photos, PDF etc from anywhere to your iPad. That is one fantastic app for the money.

It also displays Word and PDF files for your reading pleasure.

Last edited:

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see a lot of people talking about Word & Excel but for me the key is to be able to look at PowerPoint slides in meetings. I understand that iWork does a pretty horrible job of importing PPT/PPTX and the built in viewer is pretty weak (the one that works on email attachments). Is there a better way? How does GoodReader work for this? Guess I could spend .99 and find out :)

-Greg

Most reactions

Latest posts