What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size to buy? Very novice so please bear with me!

Kilbady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently joined the forum to pick some brains on whether I am doing the right thing in buying an iPad 2. I'm very new to Apple having bought an iPod Touch 32GB just last month but am already a convert and don't know how I managed without it.

Since buying the iPod, my laptop which was used primarily for surfing, emailing and a small amount of office paperwork (uncomplicated excel spreadsheets and word docs) has died and I'm wondering if the iPad can fill the gap? I understand that there are various Apps available that are compatible with Word and Excel but would be keen to know how other users have got along.

As I've got the Touch for music, I'd be looking at using the iPad for storage of photos, videos, the odd game and surfing the internet in the main. What do you think about the size, would 16GB be sufficient? Or is it better to push the boat out for the 64GB?

Also, how secure is the iPad? For example, with internet banking? Do you need additional programmes - thinking along the lines of Norton or McAfee?

Sorry that these questions are very basic but I am a real novice and quite nervous about committing a lot of money if it's not going to tick all the boxes.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Welcome to the world of Apple gadgets. No turning back now !

First off size - most averagely plump for 32gig. More than adequate for normal media storage. Also, I find with mine I spend a fair bit of time syncing media back and forth - I don't generally tend to keep or store stuff with any permanence on my device. I like the regular 'back and forth' duties. I bought a 64gig model, but don't use half of it - I have tons of apps, games, vids and phots too!
but, if you have the readies, why not treat yourself?

I wouldn't worry about security. Mostly this is dependant on your router or Internet system. And no, the iPad doesn't require extra security software.

As for substituting the iPad for your laptop? Generally the 2 should be treated as separate concerns, but there are numerous peeps, myself included, who, like yourself, use a laptop for general entertainment, web stuff, and minimal office duties - so yes, the iPad can substitute your lap top in this respect rather admirably. It's large screen and general speed and responsiveness make it a joy to use.

I use my ipad2 for my excel and word doc duties for my clients on a daily bases. It's especially cool with the wireless printing facilities. I wouldn't have it any other way any more.

(using your iPad ( every facility) on your hd tv is sooooo cool as well )

Last edited:

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a fairly new user of the ipad2 and I find it meets all of my needs - emails, social networking, word documents, internet browsing/shopping, a few games, storing photos, music. I've never had a need to use an excel equivalent, but the word equivalent (I use Pages) works just fine. You need to get used to thinking in a different way about how the programmes operate, and the keyboard is a bit unusual at first, but with a bit of practice I've found it perfectly OK. It's probably easier if you're not constantly switching between PC and ipad, though! I have a 32mb and despite having quite a bit of music and several hundred photos as well as about 50 apps (so far!) there's still bags of space left. Dropbox is a useful app for being able to access documents from a PC and vice versa. As I say I'm fairly new to all this and you may well get more technical responses from elsewhere! If it's any help, I hardly let my ipad2 out of my sight...

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That should obviously have read 32gb! See, I told you I wasn't very technical...

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I feel that the 32 gb is a great combination of size and price. I realize that in the computer world, bigger is always deemed better but tablets are different. Tablets don't need nearly as much storage space as a traditional PC or laptop would. If you have the money and cost is no object then sure, go for it. But for most people cost does come into play at some point and that's why the 32 was my choice.

Just my. 2 cents. :D

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users. It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Online banking is safe as long as your connection is safe. For instance, you can use secured wi-fi, my-fi or 3G. (Nothing is unbreachable, but these are the safest ways on iPad, along with using bank apps, which have security features as well.)

I avoid using any form of public wi-fi (at coffee shops, airports, hotels, etc.,), because I don't know what kind of security is used (usually it's lax or nonexistent) and I don't know who else is on a public wi-fi network. It's easy to access other people's info on public wi-fi, so use at your own risk.

For more info, you can google something like "public wi-fi risks." There also are scammers who set up fake public wi-fi, specifically to steal data. But any device that taps into such public networks (whether iPad, laptop, smart phone or whatever) is equally at risk.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
() For the requirements you've noted, a 32GB iPad 2 should be easily sufficient. A 16GB model would probably be fine, as well. But keep in mind that you cannot update the (local) storage and a 32GB version will give you both more flexibility and less of a need to "manage" your space.

() Documents To Go or Quick Office HD should meet your (limited) needs for handling Excel spreadsheets and Word documents. But keep in mind that neither these nor the Apple apps (Numbers and Pages) are as functional as their PC/Mac counterparts. If you purchase one of these products be sure to test them thoroughly and don't hesitate to contact iTunes support to get store credit and return them.

() It's always difficult to advise someone about whether an iPad can substitute for a "real" computer. Many people find that it does; others not at all. One easy test is whether you can get along easily with a single non-resizable window on your screen at any one time. If you're accustomed to keeping a web browser and email active at the same time, you may find the iPad workspace very cramped. If you do very much typing, you may find that the virtual (onscreen) keyboard is inadequate. And by the time you spend $700 or so for an iPad and keyboard you can get a much more powerful laptop for the same price. So keep that comparison in mind.

() In general, the iOS software architecture in the iPad eliminates the need for virus/malware protection. But the great portability of the iPad also increases the chance of loss or theft of the device, itself. If you keep sensitive data on the iPad, be sure to implement the security measures available natively and look for apps that can be used (to some extent) to track your iPad's location.

() The advice above regarding the use of public wifi networks is very good, regardless of the device you use. If you plan to use the iPad away from home on a regular basis, consider either a 3G model or a "mifi" (mobile hotspot) device that can provide a much more reliable and secure environment for any web browsing where sensitive data is required (e.g. banking, shopping with a credit card, etc.)

IPadronius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Size really does matter! I got the 64 gb model and nearly filled it up....with music, apps and movies. I travel a lot though and keep more than a few movies on it. Figure about one GB per movie. I probably have 8-10 gb just of music. Plus I am a pilot and have many GBs of map and approach data for various apps plus a bunch of GPS apps with preloaded maps.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IPadronius said:
Size really does matter! I got the 64 gb model and nearly filled it up....with music, apps and movies. I travel a lot though and keep more than a few movies on it. Figure about one GB per movie. I probably have 8-10 gb just of music. Plus I am a pilot and have many GBs of map and approach data for various apps plus a bunch of GPS apps with preloaded maps.

I think it's the movies that eat up the most storage for people. Netflix or whatever other service alleviates this but I realize that if you have no Internet connection then the streaming services aren't gonna work. Netflix also doesn't have everything you may want to watch. 8-10 gb of music? Wow.... I have quite a few songs on mine and haven't even eclipsed a GIG yet. You folks must have every song ever written on your iPads! :D

Most reactions

Latest posts