What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member - PhD Researcher

Hartshon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a relative new iPad user and am looking to run a 6 month research study within my university in the UK tracking medical students using iPads.
The study is to begin early September so I am looking to brush up my skills and knowledge - which is why I have joined this forum.
My PhD research is in the are of Human Computer Interaction and I am trying to explore users experiences and engagement with interactive technology.
At present I have little time for hobbies, although I have a design background and would like to explore the drawing and painting possibilities on the iPad.
Thanks,
Jenny

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably a good place for you to look around. This forum should give you a good idea of how people interact with their iPads. We don't allow formal surveys to take place within our threads, but there's nothing wrong with observation.

IMO, however, the more members interact with each other, the more they are likely to benefit from their membership, so don't be shy. Join in with whichever conversations you wish to, or start your own threads as you see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

OP
H

Hartshon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Kevin & Leelai
Thanks for your welcome to the forum. The main reason for joining the forum is to get some useful tips and advice on how to improve my own knowledge and skill using the iPad.
I certainly do not intend to be conducting any research in this forum. My research project is to monitor Medical Students use of iPads to support their learning. My university is giving each 3rd and 4th year student an iPad to support their learning while on placements in various hospitals within the UK. My research is to assist the University and wider research body in improving our understand of how students are using these devices. As the main researcher in this project I am involved in planning the research and am trying to design methods that can capture these students experiences over a 6 month time frame.
I hope this forum will be able to advice me on various tips and advice that I may need along the way.
Thanks,
Jenny

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

You will NOT be disappointed here, there is a ton of people that will be willing to help you out including myself, have a fun and great and informative time here.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very interesting project, with ramifications for others using iPads in learning situations. Just FYI, Univ. of California, Irvine med school and Stanford give iPads to their 1st year med students. Also, you might chek out David Hockney's website for info on how he uses the Brushes app for his paintings.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I recommend using an existing app to collect the data. There are many alternatives, and since you are talking about medical students they should be able to follow simple instructions. ;)

You probably have access to a full Adobe PDF creation suite. Create your form there with editable fields, checkboxes, etc. There are several apps for the iPad that will let you fill in this type of editable PDF including Adobe's own Adobe Reader (free). Others are PDF Expert and PDFPen.

When it comes time for them to fill it out, simply email them a copy of the form, along with instructions on how to fill it out and send it back. If you keep track of who has responded you can hammer the lazy ones with followup emails.

You'll want to test all the apps and procedure first, but I think this should work for you, and be much cheaper (and easier) than trying to develop your own app.

You could try the same thing with a spreadsheet app, for easier data retrieval on your end; but you'd probably need to buy the associated spreadsheet app for each student (or make them purchase it). I don't know of any good, free spreadsheet apps.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recommend using an existing app to collect the data. There are many alternatives, and since you are talking about medical students they should be able to follow simple instructions. ;)

You probably have access to a full Adobe PDF creation suite. Create your form there with editable fields, checkboxes, etc. There are several apps for the iPad that will let you fill in this type of editable PDF including Adobe's own Adobe Reader (free). Others are PDF Expert and PDFPen.

When it comes time for them to fill it out, simply email them a copy of the form, along with instructions on how to fill it out and send it back. If you keep track of who has responded you can hammer the lazy ones with followup emails.

You'll want to test all the apps and procedure first, but I think this should work for you, and be much cheaper (and easier) than trying to develop your own app.

You could try the same thing with a spreadsheet app, for easier data retrieval on your end; but you'd probably need to buy the associated spreadsheet app for each student (or make them purchase it). I don't know of any good, free spreadsheet apps.

Love your suggestions, Twerppoet as I am currently looking into doing something similar as the OP, but on a smaller scale with our staff and Patient Functional Outcome results. Very helpful indeed! I don't have the Full Adobe PDF Creation Suite...Will need to look at that inorder to get started. Thank you, again!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem, but I warn you, Adobe Acrobat (the proper name of the application) is not cheap; which is why I don't have it. Too expensive for casual use.

There are probably cheaper apps, but I don't know of any; at least not any that let you create fillable PDF forms.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem, but I warn you, Adobe Acrobat (the proper name of the application) is not cheap; which is why I don't have it. Too expensive for casual use.

There are probably cheaper apps, but I don't know of any; at least not any that let you create fillable PDF forms.

Hmmm....thanks for the warning...may need to look at the cost and see and also look at option B.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
I would also opt for using existing apps...
How about using Google Documents, creating a form which you can then email it to the participants?
They would be able to reply with their entries to the email you send on a weekly basis...

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OpenOffice has PDF form design and is free , although not as professional as Adobe LiveCycle, it does work
The iPad app PDF Expert supports filling in the forms on the iPad with signatures.
Sample below of a form I created and edited in PDF Expert.

image-857379958.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts