What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member: FaceTime iMessage question

china

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I have had my iPad for a year now and just talked my husband into getting one. I set up my apple account on his so we can share apps and books but the problem we are having is with FaceTime and iMessage. With face time if he calls me either on ipad or my iphone the call won't connect but it does connect if I call him. He has changed FaceTime to his email account does he need his own apple ID for FaceTime? And if so how does he change it on FaceTime without messing up my apple ID already set up on it? ( with him being new to ipad i will need step by step instruction to help him fix problem -- right now we are in two different countries and will fixing everything via skype!) Now on to iMessage we fixed the problem where he was receiving all of my text messages from other contacts but now that he has his email address on iMessages whenever I text him I get the same text sent right back to me on my iPad /iPhone. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

Looking forward to learning more through the forums

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
china said:
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I have had my iPad for a year now and just talked my husband into getting one. I set up my apple account on his so we can share apps and books but the problem we are having is with FaceTime and iMessage. With face time if he calls me either on ipad or my iphone the call won't connect but it does connect if I call him. He has changed FaceTime to his email account does he need his own apple ID for FaceTime? And if so how does he change it on FaceTime without messing up my apple ID already set up on it? ( with him being new to ipad i will need step by step instruction to help him fix problem -- right now we are in two different countries and will fixing everything via skype!) Now on to iMessage we fixed the problem where he was receiving all of my text messages from other contacts but now that he has his email address on iMessages whenever I text him I get the same text sent right back to me on my iPad /iPhone. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

Looking forward to learning more through the forums

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I've been sitting thinking about this one for a while. Many people have more than 1 Apple ID for buying apps in different country App stores. He would need to set one up however and he can do this in Settings - App store, sign out of the existing ID and then create a new one here. He would still need to sign back into the old ID to update any apps you already have or to buy new ones if you want to keep them all on the same ID. I would think he would just launch FaceTime and sign in again using the new ID, it will then be verified and away he goes. With iMessage I'm not sure why you're getting back texts that you have sent and the ID must come into it here too unless he still has your email installed and it's sending and receiving from it. Check setting for messages and make sure he only has his email set up here. Once he changes his apple ID this may just work itself out. Im thinking he will need to revert back to the old ID for syncing though, so keep this in mind. That's all I've got, but I think this will work. Let us know.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
C

china

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you we will give this a try. I never thought about needing another apple ID when other countries to purchase apps. Will I need a new ID when I move to China?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
china said:
Thank you we will give this a try. I never thought about needing another apple ID when other countries to purchase apps. Will I need a new ID when I move to China?

All app stores are different around the world, some have much more content than others. If you want to buy from a store you need an ID for that store.

OP
C

china

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah- good to know ...thank you again for the help.

Most reactions