What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Itunes only good for WIN & or later??

pugsbuni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. My husband's desktop runs Vista, I did the new upgrade yesterday, via iTunes with no problem, then at the end I got the message and still continue to get it. We should have been warned about this before I upgraded. Seems like there's an issue everytime I upgrade. Think it's time to get rid of Apple and move on to a different tablet...its way too much headache..

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. My husband's desktop runs Vista, I did the new upgrade yesterday, via iTunes with no problem, then at the end I got the message and still continue to get it. We should have been warned about this before I upgraded. Seems like there's an issue everytime I upgrade. Think it's time to get rid of Apple and move on to a different tablet...its way too much headache..

Hi again - I responded to your other post on the same question and as a previous MS Vista user - this is an old OS released in 2007 (Wiki article quote below) probably installed on a vintage computer of similar age - as you likely know Windows is much more susceptible to malware than Apple OS X or iOS and since Vista is no longer supported, security updates are lacking - probably time for considering a new computer w/ a much more modern and safer operating system, whether Microsoft or Apple - just making some general comments and not trying to be critical at all - I belong to the MacForums website and this issue about older operating systems and computers arises constantly.

Now, if you are able to upgrade your desktop/laptop hardware and operating system, then the iPad would likely be a happier device, just saying; also, you have not mentioned which iPad model you own - since you joined in 2011, I'm assuming an iPad 2 (my first one and same year I joined this forum). SO, just some thoughts for consideration - Dave :)

On 30 January 2007, Vista was released worldwide[8] and was made available for purchase and download from Microsoft's website.[9] The release of Windows Vista came more than five years after the introduction of its predecessor, Windows XP, the longest time span between successive releases of Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems. It was succeeded by Windows 7, which was released to manufacturing on 22 July 2009 and released worldwide for retail on 22 October 2009 Source).

pugsbuni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI Dave. Yes, I have the iPad 2. Actually my husband uses the desktop. He's got many pics and videos of the grandkids on it. I told him if he want to upgrade to Windows, fine..if not, no biggie. I'll do what I can via my iPad. I'm actually thinking of getting the Microsoft Surface.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
HI Dave. Yes, I have the iPad 2. Actually my husband uses the desktop. He's got many pics and videos of the grandkids on it. I told him if he want to upgrade to Windows, fine..if not, no biggie. I'll do what I can via my iPad. I'm actually thinking of getting the Microsoft Surface.

Hi again - first, I hope that your husband has these important pics & videos backed up in some fashion - don't know? If he is using an older computer on Vista, and is relying on that hard drive only for this data, then all could be lost in a 'heart beat' - please let us know if this crucial information is being stored elsewhere, i.e. if the hard drive of his presumably old computer decides to die, then all is lost.

Please share your concerns w/ us - changing to a different tablet is not the main concern, i.e. having your personal photos/videos stored and backed up is the most important objective. Dave :)

pugsbuni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Omg yes. Every picture and video is on cd's in his cd library. He's even created a legend, so if someone wants a copy of a particular game or concert, he knows right where to go. He still keeps a lot on the PC because someone is always asking for pics or videos. He backs everything up and also makes hard copies with documents etc. like I said, I will be doing what I can with my iPad and decide what I'll be doing down the road.

pugsbuni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I read comments that having windows vista or xp is 'nostalgia' or told to go out and invest in a Windows upgrade to be able to access iTunes after upgrading to the new upgrade is, quite truthfully, BS. First off, that little tidbit of information should have been in the description of the upgrade. Next, this has always been an issue with Apple. When I had the first IPad, I was only able to go so far on upgrading apps, and then you could go no further, you NEEDED to upgrade to the next generation of iPad. Not everyone has the money to buy new products to accommodate an upgrade. Well I've finally learned my lesson. I'm going to be investing in the Microsoft Surface. I'm done with Apple...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I read comments that having windows vista or xp is 'nostalgia' or told to go out and invest in a Windows upgrade to be able to access iTunes after upgrading to the new upgrade is, quite truthfully, BS. First off, that little tidbit of information should have been in the description of the upgrade. Next, this has always been an issue with Apple. When I had the first IPad, I was only able to go so far on upgrading apps, and then you could go no further, you NEEDED to upgrade to the next generation of iPad. Not everyone has the money to buy new products to accommodate an upgrade. Well I've finally learned my lesson. I'm going to be investing in the Microsoft Surface. I'm done with Apple...
Apple is not the only computer company that drops support for older devices and operating systems. Microsoft does the same thing. They have abandoned all support for Windows XP and Vista will follow in the near future. If you buy the Microsoft Surface you'll still have to periodically update the operating system to get the latest updates for various programs and apps. If you don't, you'll eventually be in the same situation as with an older iPad that can't run the latest version of iOS.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also it's not just Apple, Microsoft Office 2016 requires a minimum of Windows 7. As time goes on there are going to be fewer and fewer programs that will work on an older OS like Windows XP, including software from Microsoft, Adobe, and many other software vendors.

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A Microsoft Surface is no more immune from technological obsolescence than any other device.

Most reactions