What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new iPad user needing help please

bonnjer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm brand new here, so allow me to explain the situation...

My wife bought an iPad (iPad 16 gb) for me for Christmas (yay, finally got one!). It is a used one, but seems to be in top notch shape, no scratches, dings, etc. It looks to be jailbroken, as Cydia is installed on it. It has iOS 5.1.1. I have not connected it to my computer yet, but I'd like to upgrade to the latest iOS and sync it to my computer. I'm not really all that interested in it be jailbroken, either.

It also has wi-fi and 3g capability. What do I need to do to be able to use 3g?

Thanks for the help on this. Looking forward to learning some things in what looks to be a great iPad forum!

Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm brand new here, so allow me to explain the situation...

My wife bought an iPad (iPad 16 gb) for me for Christmas (yay, finally got one!). It is a used one, but seems to be in top notch shape, no scratches, dings, etc. It looks to be jailbroken, as Cydia is installed on it. It has iOS 5.1.1. I have not connected it to my computer yet, but I'd like to upgrade to the latest iOS and sync it to my computer. I'm not really all that interested in it be jailbroken, either.

It also has wi-fi and 3g capability. What do I need to do to be able to use 3g?

Thanks for the help on this. Looking forward to learning some things in what looks to be a great iPad forum!

Jeremy

You did not say what generation of iPad you have. If its the iPad1, then iOS 5.1.1 is as high as it can go. For the iPad2 and higher, you can upgrade it to iOS 6.0.1.

Regardless, you can easily put a stock iOS on the iPad (and yes, it will remove the jail break). To do: connect the iPad to your iTunes. If your not prompted, find the "Restore" button. This will cause iTunes to put a fresh iOS on it. After a couple of [prompted] inputs from you, you will have a new-like iPad ready to go (and synced with your iTunes). Again, it won't be jail broken any longer, but it will have the most current iOS it can run on it.

To use the 3G, you will have to sign up for a data plan with a carrier. Depending on which iPad you have (and if you are in the States) - you'll have an iPad that is for Verizon or AT&T.

Regardless, to initiate the 3G, go to your Settings app (the gear icon). At the top (-ish) of the left column will be a line titled "Cellular Data." Click on that line and then follow the prompts to open an account and pay for some data.

Congrats on your new iPad. Have fun!

Marilyn

OP
B

bonnjer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check that it does indeed still have the sim card in it.

Looking in the Settings, About section: I see Carrier ATT 12.0. It shows me a serial number, cellular data number. Does that indicate the sim card is still in it?

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think so, never activated mine. The card is located, from the back, at the top of the right side and has a small hole that you can use a paper clip in to open the holder.

For some reason, no matter what I do, the second pic is coming out upside down :(

Attachments

• image-2025390012.jpg
    image-2025390012.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 245
  • image-237982858.jpg
    image-237982858.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 258
OP
B

bonnjer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think so, never activated mine. The card is located, from the back, at the top of the right side and has a small hole that you can use a paper clip in to open the holder.

For some reason, no matter what I do, the second pic is coming out upside down :(

Yes, I have confirmed that there is a SIM card in the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts