What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New forum member

sukey7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have been a pc user for many years and have finally succumbed to the lure of Apple offerings in particular the ipad. I find there is a bit of a learning curve, hence joining this forum, but find most things pretty intuitive.
One of the most frustrating problems I am currently experiencing is the inability to print. I have been trying unsuccessfully to print to both a wireless and ethernet connected printer on a home network using eprint but have not been able to do so yet. Any advice would be very welcome in particular settings in the add a printer interface.
Sue

fleur07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us. If you have any questions, the Search feature will be your best friend. If that doesn't work, just wait someone will be around with the answers you seek. With over 200,000 members I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

While you're *looking around *here are a few links you may find useful.

We have an iPad manual available for download incase you ever need it.
Apple - Support - Manuals

Did you know we have our own App - Its pretty easy to use.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8

We also have a gaming section. There is bound to be something there you like.
iPad Games
iPad Game Specific

Last but not least. Everyone has to play by the rules here. Please read them and keep them in mind when you post. http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Again Welcome and We hope you Enjoy Your Time Here!

Fleur

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've updated my post at least three times since that thread, and while the basic content is the same it is possible one of the newer solutions will be a better fit for someone; so I redundantly post it again. Been a least a week. ;)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::

Some printers are directly compatible with AirPrint on the iPad. If you want this feature be absolutely certain the printer supports AirPrint before buying. Some printers may require a firmware update to work. These are usually available on the manufacturers site. If you get this kind of printer you can print directly from within apps that support the feature, which is many.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Of course some of us already have printers and do not want to buy a new one. There are several ways to do this.

One is to use a printing app on the iPad.

Most (or all) other print apps can only print pictures and/or files that have been copied to that app via Open In or other method. Print n Share used to be able to print from AirPrint enabled apps if it was loaded the background. It lost this ability with iOS 5. It may still work with iOS 4 if you get it before the app is updated in the App Store. Several printer manufacturers have their own apps for their printers. In general those apps will probably have the best results, quality wise.

The second method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. Your computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

There is a third way. A few printers (mostly HP's again) can be set up with their own email address. PDF attachments can be sent via this address to be printed. The last review I saw (several months ago) said it could be quite slow (big files not recommended), and sometimes the emails got lost and never printed. The advantage was that you could literally send/print from anywhere you have an internet connection.

There is a new wrinkle for small business owners and those with more than one printer who would like all their printers to work, but don't want to leave a computer on all the time. The Lantronix XPrintServer is a small box that connects to your network and is supposed to detect and make all your wireless printers available to iOS as AirPrint printers. I haven't seen a full review on it yet, so do your research.

A brand new option for lucky owners NetGear routers. Some models support NetGear Genie, which will add AirPrint support for all wireless printers on your network.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I've updated my post at least three times since that thread, and while the basic content is the same it is possible one of the newer solutions will be a better fit for someone; so I redundantly post it again. Been a least a week. ;)

On my didn't know that....thank you. None of your posts are ever redundant Twerppoet! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts