What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Apple ID and existing Verizon data plan

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure where or who to better ask — Apple or Verizon — so I'm asking here in case somebody already knows.

If I were to globally reset my iPad3 in preparation to gift it (as opposed to sell it), does my associated Verizon cellular account get affected? I'm assuming not because the data plan is associated with the SIM card and not the iPad itself? I'm not sure.

Can I therefore continue subscribing to Verizon's prepaid service using my existing account totally intact despite the change in Apple ID? (which I want to do in order to transfer my own contents to a new iPad4)

And would Verizon know or care? Would Apple know or care?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The data plan will stay on the iPad as long as you leave the SIM there. What Apple ID is associated with the iPad will make no difference to the data plan and billing.

If you move the SIM to the new iPad, the data plan should move with it.

If you are in doubt, Verizon would be the one to call on this.

If possible you should plan on moving your stuff to the new iPad before restoring the old one. That way you can try again if something goes wrong. If not, make sure you have good backups of the old iPad first, both in iCloud and in iTunes if possible. Also save all your important documents, pictures, and other non-iStore stuff to a computer or a cloud service; just to be on the safe side.

Most reactions

Latest posts