What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Never Wave Candy In Front of A Child's Face

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must be a bit odd then because i'm still really happy with my ipad 2.

I'm still using my iPad 2 as well. It's not as zippy and the screen isn't as good as on iPad 4, but it works. I double team iPads so that I always have one charged and ready to go. I expect to upgrade iPad 2 for iPad 5, though, because I'm seeing more frequent crashes and slowness, esp with more graphic-heavy websites that I visit for news daily. I check my logs and find RAM-related crashes. YMMV, of course.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still using my iPad 2 as well. It's not as zippy and the screen isn't as good as on iPad 4, but it works. I double team iPads so that I always have one charged and ready to go. I expect to upgrade iPad 2 for iPad 5, though, because I'm seeing more frequent crashes and slowness, esp with more graphic-heavy websites that I visit for news daily. I check my logs and find RAM-related crashes. YMMV, of course.
im not having any issues yet,it still works just fine and seems as fast as it ever was so i'll stick with it then pass it to my son when i eventually upgrade.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
im not having any issues yet,it still works just fine and seems as fast as it ever was so i'll stick with it then pass it to my son when i eventually upgrade.

That's the key thing: Use what works best for you.

By the way, there are at least two versions of iPad 2 -- the one that sold originally and the one that Apple continues to sell. There are slight differences in their innards, so results might vary depending on which iPad 2 someone has as well. Apple didn't highlight the upgrade, but teardowns have noted the diffs.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the key thing: Use what works best for you.

By the way, there are at least two versions of iPad 2 -- the one that sold originally and the one that Apple continues to sell. There are slight differences in their innards, so results might vary depending on which iPad 2 someone has as well. Apple didn't highlight the upgrade, but teardowns have noted the diffs.
think i might have second one then as i didn't buy mine right away,i didn't get it until July last year.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no idea when I got my iPad 2 but I would guess it was 6 months before the third generation was announced.

This iPad will go to my wife, and she will sell the original iPad. Looking forward to using facetime with her, iPad 1 didn't have that feature. And since I'll have Siri on my new iPad, that will be cool too.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
poisonivy said:
think i might have second one then as i didn't buy mine right away,i didn't get it until July last year.

I believe that the improved version of the iPad 2 was released shortly after the iPad 3 came out.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe that the improved version of the iPad 2 was released shortly after the iPad 3 came out.

ROFLOL yeah, right. Apple released an improved version of the iPad 2 after the iPad 3 came out.

And the name of that was the iPad 3.

What would be the logic behind that? Once the iPad third generation came out why would they even make anymore iPad 2? That's like saying Toyota build an improved version of the 2012 Camary after the 2013 model was released.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hookbill said:
ROFLOL yeah, right. Apple released an improved version of the iPad 2 after the iPad 3 came out.

What would be the logic behind that? Once the iPad third generation came out why would they even make anymore iPad 2? That's like saying Toyota build an improved version of the 2012 Camary after the 2013 model was released.

True, though. The iPad 2 is still in the lineup and has been improved over the original model. I believe the processor uses a superior technology, r something along those lines.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hookbill said:

This article mentions the improved version of the A5 processor in the revised iPad 2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5#Apple_A5_.28S5L8942.29

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You might not agree with Apple's thinking, but they did exactly that.

iPad 2 Quietly Gets A Processor Upgrade | WebProNews

Google something like "iPad 2 chip" and you'll find other articles covering the upgrade of iPad 2 after iPad 3 was announced. It was covered by various tech blogs at the time.

lovehorses14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, this may sound stupid but hey, soo I just got my iPad 3 and now I'm hearing iPad 4 I'm really confused is the iPad 4 the mini or is it just and iPad can someone take a pic and post it please

OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, this may sound stupid but hey, soo I just got my iPad 3 and now I'm hearing iPad 4 I'm really confused is the iPad 4 the mini or is it just and iPad can someone take a pic and post it please

The link that loverhorses 14 should spell it out to you but just in case just like me you will find out that there is the iPad Mini and the iPad Fourth Generation. Yours would be iPad third generation.

Apple released the iPad Fourth Generation and Mini recently. Two separate tablets, and I was as confused as you were.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might not agree with Apple's thinking, but they did exactly that.

iPad 2 Quietly Gets A Processor Upgrade | WebProNews

Google something like "iPad 2 chip" and you'll find other articles covering the upgrade of iPad 2 after iPad 3 was announced. It was covered by various tech blogs at the time.

Simply unbelievable. But it appears you're right, I tried to discredit the web site, but it appears they have solid information.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hookbill said:
Simply unbelievable. But it appears you're right, I tried to discredit the web site, but it appears they have solid information.

I'd be real interested to know if that upgraded A5 processor was also used in the iPad mini.

Most reactions