What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need you advice for Ipad to NAS transfers

sirsimon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I really hope you can help?Issue: My wife's parents computer is dying and they have 50 gig off photos and movies on it. They said they want an Ipad for Christmas 'great' but what am I going to do with 50gig of data. My first option was to turn the PC into a DLNA server but I have been told by my wife that they no longer want to use the computer!!! NAS it is; However I know nothing of the Apple system.So my question is:Can I transfer photos/movies form a camera into a Ipad and into a NAS?What apps can I use to transfer this data?Is it going to be difficult for 2x80 year old grandparents with a little IT exspearence?P.S I really don't want to go down the Icloud/dropbox way of doing thingsKind regardsSimon

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome. One option is use a Seagate 500gb wifi drive. Load all the pictures in to folders you create. Same with movies then using the Seagate app yup can access the drive via wifi. This is a hotspot drove meaning it has it's own wifi connection and does not need a wifi network. It is also battery operated with 7 hours life span that can be recharged when ever you choose. You can use a network NAS drive such as a western digital drives and access the drive again via software. The important thing is make sure you have second copies of your data. Hope that helps.

OP
S

sirsimon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome. One option is use a Seagate 500gb wifi drive. Load all the pictures in to folders you create. Same with movies then using the Seagate app yup can access the drive via wifi. This is a hotspot drove meaning it has it's own wifi connection and does not need a wifi network. It is also battery operated with 7 hours life span that can be recharged when ever you choose. You can use a network NAS drive such as a western digital drives and access the drive again via software. The important thing is make sure you have second copies of your data. Hope that helps.
Thanks for your help. I think I'll get a NAS but It was also good to know about the Wifi drive. Might get one for the car, that shoud keep the kids quite on the long drivesSimon

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you or they have a home network, then an app like FileExplorer can be used to move files around.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
FileBrowser, a $5 app, is great for sending to and from any shared folders on your home network with no helper apps required on the computers. I use it all the time for getting things from and sending them to my desktop and home server PCs.

OP
S

sirsimon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FileBrowser, a $5 app, is great for sending to and from any shared folders on your home network with no helper apps required on the computers. I use it all the time for getting things from and sending them to my desktop and home server PCs.
Oh, that's just what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Same here, I use FileBrowser to access all the files on my NAS drive. I also have a specific folder on the NAS drive that I sync with my iPad using Goodreader, files that I want to carry on the road.

OP
S

sirsimon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here, I use FileBrowser to access all the files on my NAS drive. I also have a specific folder on the NAS drive that I sync with my iPad using Goodreader, files that I want to carry on the road.
Brilliant, I'll look into the Goodreader. BTW what NAS drive did you go for?Si

Most reactions

Latest posts