What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Streaming audio files from DAAP NAS (iTunes server) to DLNA TV via iPad w/out Mac/PC

oldsch00l

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

Firstly, I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Home Entertainment section, so apologies in advance to the mods...

I have my iTunes library stored on a NAS (KeaGo Arkara), which has iTunes server, but crucially not DLNA, functionality.

My desired set-up is to be able to browse my music library on my iPad (without having iTunes, or any other software, running on a PC/Mac) and pump the audio to my stereo via my DLNA compliant Sony Bravia TV.

Here's what I have thus far...

There are a multitude of apps (media:connect, Sony's Network Audio Remote, iMediaControl et al) that will see the files on the NAS and output audio to another source via DLNA but, as the NAS is not DLNA, all the files are just presented alphabetically in one long list with no metadata. No use.

The only app I have found that will render my iTunes library in a usable way is 'Simple DAAP Client'. This little app does a great job of pulling all my mp3s, along with metadata, and displaying them on the iPad by genre/artist/album/whatever. The rub is that I can't find a way of then routing the iPad’s audio to the TV (short of using a 3.5mm jack cable).

If anyone out there has encountered this situation and knows of an app, or combination of apps, that can do what I am looking for I would be eternally grateful.

Before anyone suggests it, I know I could just transfer playlists to my iPad or fire up a laptop/PC running a DLNA server but, if at all possible, I really want to be able to browse/stream from the NAS to the iPad and push the audio to the TV without any additional h/w.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

zaidesmail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been searching for a solution to this as well.

Have you found a solution?

Hello all,

Firstly, I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Home Entertainment section, so apologies in advance to the mods...

I have my iTunes library stored on a NAS (KeaGo Arkara), which has iTunes server, but crucially not DLNA, functionality.

My desired set-up is to be able to browse my music library on my iPad (without having iTunes, or any other software, running on a PC/Mac) and pump the audio to my stereo via my DLNA compliant Sony Bravia TV.

Here's what I have thus far...

There are a multitude of apps (media:connect, Sony's Network Audio Remote, iMediaControl et al) that will see the files on the NAS and output audio to another source via DLNA but, as the NAS is not DLNA, all the files are just presented alphabetically in one long list with no metadata. No use.

The only app I have found that will render my iTunes library in a usable way is 'Simple DAAP Client'. This little app does a great job of pulling all my mp3s, along with metadata, and displaying them on the iPad by genre/artist/album/whatever. The rub is that I can't find a way of then routing the iPad’s audio to the TV (short of using a 3.5mm jack cable).

If anyone out there has encountered this situation and knows of an app, or combination of apps, that can do what I am looking for I would be eternally grateful.

Before anyone suggests it, I know I could just transfer playlists to my iPad or fire up a laptop/PC running a DLNA server but, if at all possible, I really want to be able to browse/stream from the NAS to the iPad and push the audio to the TV without any additional h/w.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

Most reactions

Latest posts