What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help , just fought with Airport Express for 2 hours -- am I okay?

Chris561

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. Moved into a new extended stay type hotel...

I have never had Internet so fast I'm so happy !! Now , they said "I shouldn't use a router because it may slow other people down"

So I bought an airport express --

- the hotel has a "access code login page" for security. I used my code on my laptop (didn't think to download airport app on the pad -- even though someone has an unsecured wifi network (blazing fast lol)

-- I got the airport app , everything was fine

-- got to the login page , entered code and it no longer worked .

-- called front desk and got a new one , it worked ... Then I went to settings and under wifi I selected the airport hub like an idiot thinking I can customize stuff (not airport app just the airport thing in settings) ...

---- Start safari , "login" pops up -- code dead.

Now I just got a new code and it's fine ... But I'm not using security but I AM using "hidden network". I'm scared to even attempt to update/change anything in fear of needing a fourth code within 3 hours of move in ...

It's just a little hotel , is being "hidden" enough security ? I did use the airport app And made it hidden / crossed fingers / and reconnected and its fine. So am i good to go ?

Thanks guys -- its been a loooooong time since using very high speed internet , my last place was like dial up!!!!

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chris561 said:
Hey guys. Moved into a new extended stay type hotel...

I have never had Internet so fast I'm so happy !! Now , they said "I shouldn't use a router because it may slow other people down"

So I bought an airport express --

- the hotel has a "access code login page" for security. I used my code on my laptop (didn't think to download airport app on the pad -- even though someone has an unsecured wifi network (blazing fast lol)

-- I got the airport app , everything was fine

-- got to the login page , entered code and it no longer worked .

-- called front desk and got a new one , it worked ... Then I went to settings and under wifi I selected the airport hub like an idiot thinking I can customize stuff (not airport app just the airport thing in settings) ...

---- Start safari , "login" pops up -- code dead.

Now I just got a new code and it's fine ... But I'm not using security but I AM using "hidden network". I'm scared to even attempt to update/change anything in fear of needing a fourth code within 3 hours of move in ...

It's just a little hotel , is being "hidden" enough security ? I did use the airport app And made it hidden / crossed fingers / and reconnected and its fine. So am i good to go ?

Thanks guys -- its been a loooooong time since using very high speed internet , my last place was like dial up!!!!

So are you asking if the network you are connected to is safe to connect to?

The iDevice Guru

OP
C

Chris561

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mean ... I am asking if using "none" for security and keeping the network hidden , will prevent anyone from "watching me" lol.

I'm not a newb , but never had to deal with plug in high speed :(

I'm afraid if I select WPA2 that the hotel code will be reset ..

OP
C

Chris561

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Guru ,

I assumed if its hidden , (being at this location and not knowing anyone) that I wouldn't need a password.

I pay $40 a month for the Internet :( I think the login "access code" can tell when multiple devices use the same code -- therefore they invalidate it.

OP
C

Chris561

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guru ...

If my girlfriend comes over with her laptop , I know her trying to use the code I used to set up would kill it.

I'm trying to see if I should use MyWi so she can just go off my connection -- or give her the login to my Air Port.

Do you think they'd be able to tell (hotel ISP) ? I doubt it because she's going to connect to the Air Port ...

So MyWi or give her the login information for airport ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts