What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help getting movie to IPAD...Please.

Gillette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this isn't the appropriate section to post this.

I purchased a DVD to Ipad program that I read about hear on the forum called iskysoft. I was able to convert my movie without issues (took about 4 hours), but I can not get it onto my Ipad. Its over 5 gig, so I'm thinking something isn't right? I have another movie that I purchased thru itunes (about the same length) and its a little over 1 gig.

B.T.W. I am able to watch the movie on my Macbook Pro without issues.

I'm really a novice at this stuff, so if someone could help me or tell me what I might be doing wrong, I would appreciate it.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with settings also. For me, I seem to get the best results with about 1200 - 2000 Kbps. The file size is manageable but the quality is OK.

If I may ask, is it a really new DVD? Telling the year would be good if you can. I'm having trouble with the newest DVDs copy protection, and if this software is able to get past the newest protection, I'll have to give it a try.

OP
G

Gillette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with settings also. For me, I seem to get the best results with about 1200 - 2000 Kbps. The file size is manageable but the quality is OK.

If I may ask, is it a really new DVD? Telling the year would be good if you can. I'm having trouble with the newest DVDs copy protection, and if this software is able to get past the newest protection, I'll have to give it a try.

Yes, its a new released DVD...2010.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cool, I'll try that. But try the bitrate setting, it should help, but I've found that the resolution of DVDs is pretty good at the default setting.

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're using a PC there are several programs out there that are easy to use and produce a consistent result..

What resolution are you ripping to? 5GB for a final file size is ridiculous.

OP
G

Gillette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're using a PC there are several programs out there that are easy to use and produce a consistent result..

No doubt, that's huge.

1024x768 Would it help if I lowered that or is that the normal setting?

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score

No doubt, that's huge.

1024x768 Would it help if I lowered that or is that the normal setting?

Seems strange. I've ripped about 6 movies so far all at 1024x768 resolution and they were blu-ray HD rips and they were only from 1GB - 2GB and Avatar ripped from blu-ray HD was only 3GB.

Seems strange that yours is so big.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best and fastest result I have seen thus far has been with Nero Recode. I bought the whole suite for about 70 bucks (that's including Vision, Express, etc).

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is what Wikipedia says about DVD resolution. Most of you are WAY overscanning!

720 × 576 pixels (same resolution as D1)
704 × 576 pixels
352 × 576 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)
  • At 29.97, interlaced (used in regions with 60 Hz image scanning frequency):
720 × 480 pixels (almost same resolution as D1, which has 486 lines, not 480 – see overscan: analog to digital resolution issues)
704 × 480 pixels352 × 480 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)

OP
G

Gillette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is what Wikipedia says about DVD resolution. Most of you are WAY overscanning!

720 × 576 pixels (same resolution as D1)
704 × 576 pixels
352 × 576 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)
  • At 29.97, interlaced (used in regions with 60 Hz image scanning frequency):
720 × 480 pixels (almost same resolution as D1, which has 486 lines, not 480 – see overscan: analog to digital resolution issues)
704 × 480 pixels352 × 480 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)

Thanks to everyone for all the help and support. I finally got it to load onto my Ipad. No idea why it wouldn't load before.

As NumbLock stated, I was way over scanning. I reduced the movie from 5 gig to 1.88 gig. The quality meets my expectations, so I'm happy. Thanks NumbLock.

Most reactions