What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help deciding on which one to buy...

OP
D

Debi F.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate all the information you're giving me , and while most of it is going over my head at the moment, some of it isn't and is very helpful and much appreciated. Plus on the clueless parts to me now, once I have the Ipad I can always refer back to this post and go OOOOOOOHHHHHH that's what AQ meant!! :)

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi debi,

Very late to this thread but as a mum of two children (youngest being 6), I'd say using the iPad as your camera whilst out at weekends just isn't going to cut it. I'd say it's too bulky, it's not as convenient as pulling out a compact camera or a mobile to take that shot.

I do some portrait photography as well as an IT job so I am probably a bit of a snob in terms of cameras (my compact camera is an olympus pen with a lens that's about £1000 lol) but putting image quality to one size, pulling that out of your handbag to video your child at the park will be inconvenient to say the least!

As others have said it's hard to guesstimate your size requirements from the lumix you mentioned you had. I personally have the 64gb wifi model but i shoot all of my pics (yes even my own kids at the weekends) in a larger file format called raw. Think of it as a digital equivalent of a film negative as opposed to a 6x4" print - it gives me more options on how I "finish" the end photo but the file sizes are considerably larger.

Sorry that's probably too much, but I personally don't think the iPad is a practical camera for a busy mum. YMMV of course!

Best of luck and whichever model you choose you will have a lot of fun with it!

OP
D

Debi F.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you for that information, i may still get a small "dont care if it gets wet/bounces around" camera, but you said what my husband said. he wants me to get the ipad if i want one, but wants me to be realistic in how i'm going to use it and i'm weighing those options now too. thanks again!! =)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Debi, the above poster is right...you should get the case as soon as you get the iPad...to protect against those unfortunate scratches. Cases are highly personal choices, however, but there are lots of threads here that discuss them. I have been though a LOT of cases looking for perfection....I have not quite found it...now I'm motivated to just accept good enough.

OP
D

Debi F.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking at some covers and I recently saw someone carrying one that looks like a padded/cushioned book, and when they opened it the Ipad was inside a clear sleeve. Bonus was I THINK they were touching the screen through it so they didn't have to slide it out. I have OCD so that would be my preference since seeing fingerprints all over the screen would drive me insane.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Debi F. said:
I've been looking at some covers and I recently saw someone carrying one that looks like a padded/cushioned book, and when they opened it the Ipad was inside a clear sleeve. Bonus was I THINK they were touching the screen through it so they didn't have to slide it out. I have OCD so that would be my preference since seeing fingerprints all over the screen would drive me insane.

Haha.....there are lots of OCD types around here.

Most reactions