What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPAD for Kids with Autism, Stream media from WD, General Use - Decide if to Buy?

JamesM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi..My first post in this forum. We are thinking of a tablet to help my son with Autism - it seems that iPAD has the marjet wrt apps to help kids with Autism eg modelling, visual schedules etc.

I have next to no experience with tablets. It seems that iPAD is alocked down env. with apps and iTune and the reviews seem to point to dislkes to camera quality, no USD etc.

Having said that, the Android market does not seem tooo populated with apps for ASD kids.

Our home set up is Wifi, we have media streaming with WD One World White Book NAS/media server plus WD media adapter plus XBox 360 4GB plus desktop and laptop. We have movies in various formats and music on the NAS. We do not have any Apple products at home ie no iTunes

We have been to the local elec. shops...the iPAD 2 seems more intuiitive to use than say Acer Iconia A500.

So.........can iPAD 2 do

Capture video for modelling of son at school in clarrom ...easy to transfer / edit on PC systems
Capture behavious/ data gathering from school classroom..notes transfer to PC and email out
Receive media stream from WD gear
Stream to TV using home wifi via WD media adapter
Check emails - done using desktop/laptop.

I see on net that iPAD 3 is coming soon..so to speak.

We welcome any comments on iPAD vs others wrt use for ASD and home use.

Not looking at 3G - 16GHB should be fine.

Not sure how lack of USD and HDMI in iPAD goes down either. Must be a lot of happy iPAD users out tehre tho!!! 68% of ther market?

Many thanks

James M
Qld, Australia

zmess

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi , check out tap to talk, my talk, talking Tom and proloquo2go apps. These are recommended to me by another parent.

Zul

amandabiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
recommended apps

Hello! I just wanted to let you guys know about an awesome site for
Autism apps for Ipad/Ipod, etc. Specifically, the mobile education store

They have apps about language buliding, story building, conversations, etc...
all stuff that definately targets kids with speech delays/disorders, autism,
special needs, etc. Also while your there, check out the main organization,
A4CWSN (Apps for children with special needs). We found so many useful apps and
resources here
Blessings to you!

Amanda Biel

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi..My first post in this forum. We are thinking of a tablet to help my son with Autism - it seems that iPAD has the marjet wrt apps to help kids with Autism eg modelling, visual schedules etc.

I have next to no experience with tablets. It seems that iPAD is alocked down env. with apps and iTune and the reviews seem to point to dislkes to camera quality, no USD etc.

Having said that, the Android market does not seem tooo populated with apps for ASD kids.

Our home set up is Wifi, we have media streaming with WD One World White Book NAS/media server plus WD media adapter plus XBox 360 4GB plus desktop and laptop. We have movies in various formats and music on the NAS. We do not have any Apple products at home ie no iTunes

We have been to the local elec. shops...the iPAD 2 seems more intuiitive to use than say Acer Iconia A500.

So.........can iPAD 2 do

Capture video for modelling of son at school in clarrom ...easy to transfer / edit on PC systems
Capture behavious/ data gathering from school classroom..notes transfer to PC and email out
Receive media stream from WD gear
Stream to TV using home wifi via WD media adapter
Check emails - done using desktop/laptop.

I see on net that iPAD 3 is coming soon..so to speak.

We welcome any comments on iPAD vs others wrt use for ASD and home use.

Not looking at 3G - 16GHB should be fine.

Not sure how lack of USD and HDMI in iPAD goes down either. Must be a lot of happy iPAD users out tehre tho!!! 68% of ther market?

Many thanks

James M
Qld, Australia
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

With respect to the subject matter, there are a couple of other threads regarding autism, etc., so a quick search should give you some more information and contacts.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

Welcome again and enjoy!

OP
J

JamesM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi There
Thanks vm for the replies
Bought the iPad2 two days ago and we are very very happy with it - read all the internet chat stuff about Android (open apps) vs Apple. To be frank - as long as the product works well - I am not worried about having to buy items all thru iTunes.....Many thanks...James M. Already got a few apps...

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi There
Thanks vm for the replies
Bought the iPad2 two days ago and we are very very happy with it - read all the internet chat stuff about Android (open apps) vs Apple. To be frank - as long as the product works well - I am not worried about having to buy items all thru iTunes.....Many thanks...James M. Already got a few apps...
Good to hear. With respect to apps for Android platforms Vs Apple's the overwhelming positive IMO is that all Apple apps are fully vetted by Apple so you know they'll work and won't have issues down the road. I can understand those that favor the "open concept", well, concept. I'm a big fan of Linux as well but when it comes to work and getting things done I don't have time to worry about "issues". I want to work with my devices, not on them.

Welcome again, feel free to have a look around, ask questions and we'll look forward to your contributions as well.

Zandee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your child is non-verbal consider that purchasing an augmentative and alternative communication device. It has been observed that children suffering from autism have shown a good improvementhttp://www.inkids.com.au/ when they play apps on the iPad or iPhone.

Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by a member of staff in accordance with the Forum Rules. No external links.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

JamesM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi a few weeks down the iPad is going well. It is good unit and we have a few ads apps on and my boy is exploring them. Do not have any issues ...we will load more apps as he develops...Cheers James

Most reactions

Latest posts