What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a texting app

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I've tried searching but can't find anything.

I do a fair amount of texting on my cell phone (have verizon service). I would like to put an application on my iPad that allows me to text (send and receive) as if I were on my cell phone - that way if I'm on my iPad I can send / receive texts that come into my cell phone.

I found one app that gives me a separate number but that doesn't help when I'm not on my iPad. I found another that does the texting from an MSN type account.

Thoughts? thanks

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTextspeed

iText Pro

Textnow

Text plus

All in the app store ;)

So these apps allow you to text a contact on your ipad and they will see the text as coming from your cell number? So when they respond it will be sent to your cell? I think that is what the OP is after, because its exactly what I have been looking for.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Text Free is the best I have found. You get a real number assigned to you that you can give people to text you on. It is a static number just like a cell phone. I dont know of any other service that does that.

The down side is that its iPhone only right now, so you have to deal with a tiny screen or grainy graphics and the iPhone keyboard (yuck).

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Text Free is the best I have found. You get a real number assigned to you that you can give people to text you on. It is a static number just like a cell phone. I dont know of any other service that does that.

The down side is that its iPhone only right now, so you have to deal with a tiny screen or grainy graphics and the iPhone keyboard (yuck).

I'm confused. So it does work on the iPad but is small? Or it only works on the iPhone.

OP
DavidNM

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gang that's what I'm not looking for - I have text free and it works great - but if I've texted someone from textfree and they return the text it doesn't go to my cell - just my ipad. I'm not going to ask everyone I know to send texts to 2 numbers.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

I'm confused. So it does work on the iPad but is small? Or it only works on the iPhone.

When running an iPhone app on an iPad you have two choices 1) Leave it the same size, which means you have the app running and looking just like on an iPhone or 2) hit the "2X" button and make it nearly full screen. But at full screen the graphics (depending on the app) take a hit.....

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for the exact same thing. I want the iPad to essentially control the phone for a moment, and send a text through the phone, so that when someone responds to the text, they are actually sending it back to my phone.

U62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a crazy idea. Use your iPad for what it's designed to do, and keep your phone next to you for texting and calls? Then you don't have to interrupt whatever you're doing on your iPad to reply to a text.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is my phone.
lgVX5500.jpg

Would you rather text on that or the iPad :)
I dont want a phone that requires a data plan - my data is on the iPad.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to clarify, TextFree has its own phone number for texting. So your friends would need to remember to call you on one number and text to another. Its a little confusing, but its the only way I have found that allows them to easily initiate a text conversation to the iPad. When I used text plus, when someone sent a text to my phone, I would just reply and continue the conversation on the iPad. The first text in Text Plus has to be from the ipad.

I am not aware of a way for your ipad to take over the texting from your cell phone number that is assigned to another device. There might be a way if your phone is an iPhone and you have the same app on both devices, but I havent explored that since I dont have an iphone.

iamfudge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would google voice work? Sign up for GV with your current #, then you can text from the web, and when not signed in via the iPad, have the text push to your cell phone-assuming you have unlimited texts on that plan.

xaggie95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about google voice? Yes there's not an app for it, but I do quite a bit of texting via safari with my iPad and able to check via mobile phone (BB).

Most reactions

Latest posts