What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad texting

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a reliable way to text from my iPad using my existing cell phone number? I don't want a different number.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You cannot natively send SMS messages from your iPad if that's what you mean.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming you have a SIM with a SMS package which is authorised for the iPad, it is fairly trivial to enable native SMS texting on the iPad once it is jailbroken.

That's not to say that jailbreaking is for everyone, but it is an option if sending native SMS's is a requirement for you on your 3G enabled device. (CDMA and Wifi only devices are not supported).

We have some past discussions on it here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/77610-sms-app-ipad-2-ios-5-1-1-a.html
here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hack...app-send-receive-text-messages-ipad-2-3g.html
and here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/30544-sms-ipad.html

and I can confirm that SwirlySMS for iPad 3G ($4.99 for the Cydia Store - available once you jailbreak) is compatible on all 3G / 4G enabled iPads running 5.1.1. There may be other solutions available, but that is the one I have experience of. There are no free options AFAIK.
In terms of reliability, I've never found it to be any less reliable than an iPhone, once enabled. But in the spirit of full disclosure, since iMessage came along I really don't have any requirement for native SMS on my iPads any more. That's what my iPhone is for! :D

Head on over to our Hacking Section if you have any queries. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, it'd be easier for me to get a texting app that gives me a new phone number. Then I only have to give my contacts this new phone number? that seems easier and not a huge inconvenience, I suppose.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe the new update to iMessage in iOS 6 will improve messaging to or with iMessage associated with a cell number. Supposedly you are able to have your iPhone, iPad and Mac's iMessage synced effortlessly with the new update. Obviously to other devices without iMessage that will not help much.

OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There should be a way of texting without the need for a cell number. It shouldn't be hard, no? Or, you should be able to text using your existing cell number.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoneyGuy said:
There should be a way of texting without the need for a cell number. It shouldn't be hard, no? Or, you should be able to text using your existing cell number.

Texting without a cell number is called instant messaging. Great thing about that is it can be across all devices with the right app/client. Skype is great for that, Messenger is popular.

Sun King

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the Uk most mobile phone company's allow you to go to their web site and send a text message , and to whoever you send it to it appears to come from your mobile phone.

No app needed , no need to tell your friends a new number .

Just use your browser on your iPad.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sun King said:
In the Uk most mobile phone company's allow you to go to their web site and send a text message , and to whoever you send it to it appears to come from your mobile phone.

No app needed , no need to tell your friends a new number .

Just use your browser on your iPad.

O2 only gives you 10 free texts via the website and then you have to pay for more :(

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Most reactions