What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mywi 5.0 on ipad 2 ios 5.0.1

inline6power

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone been able to get this to work on their ipad 2? i am not sure if mywi has been updated to work with the ipad 2 on ios 5.0.1 or if it has its not working on my pad.

OP
I

inline6power

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i want to be able to use my ipad 2 as a hotspot to get internet on my laptop but no matter what i do, mywi will not work. is it just me or is there no support for this yet? sorry very new to apple. always been a droid guy.

Smok1n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone been able to get this to work on their ipad 2? i am not sure if mywi has been updated to work with the ipad 2 on ios 5.0.1 or if it has its not working on my pad.
As far as I know you must jailbreak to use mywy. There's no jailbreak out for iPad 2 yet.

Violinsvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are incorrect. There is a jailbreak for iPad 5.0.1 available. Regarding mywi, or any other tethering tweaks that i know of at the moment, the problem is, that ios 5 included new Blutooth drivers of some sort, which the developers have not yet had succes to exploit. Intelliborn are working on an update which, hopefully, will hit cydia soon. I hope you found my answer sufficient.

OP
I

inline6power

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are incorrect. There is a jailbreak for iPad 5.0.1 available. Regarding mywi, or any other tethering tweaks that i know of at the moment, the problem is, that ios 5 included new Blutooth drivers of some sort, which the developers have not yet had succes to exploit. Intelliborn are working on an update which, hopefully, will hit cydia soon. I hope you found my answer sufficient.
i did. thanks a million. i figured mywi just wasnt updated or something was wrong. sure do appreciate it and its so nice having a jailbreak ipad 2 rather than stock. WAY better, just would be nice to have a hotspot feature. i still like android for sorts but apple is deff growing on me.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just upgraded the iPad 2 to 5.0.1 and re-jailbroke yesterday, and did the same for the iPhone 4 today. MiWi WiFi tethering works just fine (like before) but Bluetooth - and MiWi Bluetooth OnDemand - do not yet. The only advantage of the OnDemand bluetooth connection would be for battery conservation if one had to tether somewhere away from power or auxillary batteries.

OP
I

inline6power

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just upgraded the iPad 2 to 5.0.1 and re-jailbroke yesterday, and did the same for the iPhone 4 today. MiWi WiFi tethering works just fine (like before) but Bluetooth - and MiWi Bluetooth OnDemand - do not yet. The only advantage of the OnDemand bluetooth connection would be for battery conservation if one had to tether somewhere away from power or auxillary batteries.
So you can turn your ipad, into a hot spot and say your laptop can connect to the net threw your ipad? I can't seem to get it to work on mine

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OOps, sorry I didn't find this sooner.

Yes, MyWi works just like it did before, with the exception of the Bluetooth component. I have had MyWi for quite some months now and would be glad to try to help you work through the issue. It does seems to be tricky, and the connection proceedure doesn't go along the same every time. Occassionally I have to reboot one or the other (or both) of the devices. Also I have a shortcut created to a DOS process that releases/renews the IP addressing issued to the Laptop by MyWi. I'm never sure if using it helps, or if it's just me waiting a little longer - which does seem to be part of the proceedure sometimes.

Let me know some more about what you have going and what you have tried so far.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

( I have subscribed to this thread - so I'll get back sooner this time )

Last edited:

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Violinsvin said:

Can you please tell me where you have found this specific information from Intelliborn, so I may keep an eye on any possible progress. Thanks!

OP
I

inline6power

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OOps, sorry I didn't find this sooner.

Yes, MyWi works just like it did before, with the exception of the Bluetooth component. I have had MyWi for quite some months now and would be glad to try to help you work through the issue. It does seems to be tricky, and the connection proceedure doesn't go along the same every time. Occassionally I have to reboot one or the other (or both) of the devices. Also I have a shortcut created to a DOS process that releases/renews the IP addressing issued to the Laptop by MyWi. I'm never sure if using it helps, or if it's just me waiting a little longer - which does seem to be part of the proceedure sometimes.

Let me know some more about what you have going and what you have tried so far.

( I have subscribed to this thread - so I'll get back sooner this time )
thanks brian. the problems that i am having are this. when i slide the button to on, weather i am in the home screen, the bluetooth screen, the usb and so on, as soon as i change screens, it will auto slide back to off and will not stay on. so if i click on mywi to on, hit my home button, go back into mywi, it will be turned off. now if i stay on mywi page with it on, it will stay on, my computer will see the hotspot but will not connect. those are the issues i am having.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[[ EDIT ]] I am presuming that you are using an iDevice that has 3g on it - such as the iPhone or an iPad with 3g - and that your MyWi is installed on that.

Well, let's see. The "slide the button to on" part is a bit confusing. I presume you mean one of the buttons that turns on a particular Hotspot feature. If you poke the "house" icon at the top, you should have a comprehensive screen of controls. When I tap and slide-on the WiFi Hotspot button, it stays on no matter what I do with the phone thereafter (except, of course, turning off WiFi from the phone's settings app). So if that is what you are referring to, you have a problem of some kind that I can't address. Contacting Intelliborn would be the next step then.

Now, connecting the Computer or iPad should work about this way: Start completely fresh with both units - turn off everything related to WiFi first then reboot both devices. Next, open MiWi on the phone, and with it's home screen (poke house icon) showing, turn on WiFi Hotspot. Make sure the next section down "Hotspot Name" is filled in. Set security to WPA2 and set a password. Then tap the "Advanced WiFi" section and at the bottom of that page note the numbers in "DHCP Network." They might be helpful in another "auxillary step - later.

Then... go back to the laptop, and turn on your WiFi adaptor (my laptop has a control on the keyboard). You should be able to view "available connections" and select to connect to the iPhone. Be patient, as it might take a minute or so for the connection to get established. Find a way to view the connection status - such as "Control Panel <> Network and Sharing Center. From that screen (on the laptop) you should be able to watch the connection proceedure and/or verify a good connection (or not). Also, if you are still stuck, there is another proceedure you can perform from that screen... which I'll detail in another reply, if you require it.

Let me know.

Last edited:
OP
I

inline6power

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[[ EDIT ]] I am presuming that you are using an iDevice that has 3g on it - such as the iPhone or an iPad with 3g - and that your MyWi is installed on that.

Well, let's see. The "slide the button to on" part is a bit confusing. I presume you mean one of the buttons that turns on a particular Hotspot feature. If you poke the "house" icon at the top, you should have a comprehensive screen of controls. When I tap and slide-on the WiFi Hotspot button, it stays on no matter what I do with the phone thereafter (except, of course, turning off WiFi from the phone's settings app). So if that is what you are referring to, you have a problem of some kind that I can't address. Contacting Intelliborn would be the next step then.

Now, connecting the Computer or iPad should work about this way: Start completely fresh with both units - turn off everything related to WiFi first then reboot both devices. Next, open MiWi on the phone, and with it's home screen (poke house icon) showing, turn on WiFi Hotspot. Make sure the next section down "Hotspot Name" is filled in. Set security to WPA2 and set a password. Then tap the "Advanced WiFi" section and at the bottom of that page note the numbers in "DHCP Network." They might be helpful in another "auxillary step - later.

Then... go back to the laptop, and turn on your WiFi adaptor (my laptop has a control on the keyboard). You should be able to view "available connections" and select to connect to the iPhone. Be patient, as it might take a minute or so for the connection to get established. Find a way to view the connection status - such as "Control Panel <> Network and Sharing Center. From that screen (on the laptop) you should be able to watch the connection proceedure and/or verify a good connection (or not). Also, if you are still stuck, there is another proceedure you can perform from that screen... which I'll detail in another reply, if you require it.

Let me know.

Does not give me the option for wpa2 and doing what you say leads to the same result. As soon as I click my home button to exit out of mywi while mywi is turned on, it automatically switches to off no matter what I do. Now bluetooth will stay on but the WiFi will not. Computer will intact connect but the connection shows zero traffic and laptop cannot get on the Internet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I really think you should get on the Intelliborn site or go in through Cydia and send them an email/help message. They will respond. Hopefully there is a solution. They might just tell you to remove it and reinstall. Your program isn't behaving at all the way mine does, I can tell. Good luck.

OP
I

inline6power

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I really think you should get on the Intelliborn site or go in through Cydia and send them an email/help message. They will respond. Hopefully there is a solution. They might just tell you to remove it and reinstall. Your program isn't behaving at all the way mine does, I can tell. Good luck.
thanks again for your help. i e mailed them and will wait to hear back from them. i have unistalled and reinstalled a couple of times now and its the same thing lol. hopefully they will get back to me about this as i really like to have this feature. i am so used to having it on my droid phones and it would be nice to just use my ipad to tether incase i dont have my phone to tether my laptop to.

Most reactions

Latest posts