What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Review

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kingsmuse, i know you are upset but all you have to do is spent 99c on a goodreader. this is a simple file manager which will alow you to attach files, send them to the cloud service and explore your documents. 99c is far less than what i have spent on anti-virus and anir-malware software for my windows machines.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here are the tasks that my ipad does extremly well
- attaching personal documents (99c goodreader)
- managing personal documents (99c goodreader + google docs)
- editing word documents ($9.99 pages - cheaper than MS word)
- movie playback on IPS high quality screen
- long battery life (7 hours of non stop video playback)
- browsing through PDF files (faster than my C2D laptop)
- smooth web experience (no flash = no bugs)
- viewing my pictures
- lighter than any laptop on the market considering that you don't need to take a charger with you
- instant on

if you need this device to do serious picture editing and movie editing then this is not a device for you. on the other hand give me a laptop that will give you 7 hour battery life with some people claiming of getting 12 hours of video playback.

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand the stigma that it doesn't count if you have to use an app to do it. So what if you have to buy goodreader or docs to go to edit, create and email word documents. You have to buy Microsoft Office when you buy a pc if you want to create word docs and that is much more expensive.

There are workarounds out there for many of your concerns but it may require an app purchase. I don't think that is such a big deal. A little research goes a long way when trying to figure out what apps are worth purchasing. The reality is if you don't want to buy some apps your experience will be much less fulfilling.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i disagree. the difference is that for ipad you need to buy an app to attach a file to an email. and i agree with the OP, this is ridiculous.
steve jobs could have made the ipad so much better but instead he chose to cripple it so the people buy apps to do basic computing.
in the end this is still an amazing device but only once you find ways to work with it. some people jailbreak it, some buy extra apps. whatever works for everyone.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"steve jobs could have made the ipad so much better but instead he chose to cripple it so the people buy apps to do basic computing."

...................bet he pulled the wings off butterflies when he was little.

Aneteri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
>_>

Give me your ipad. I need one.

I'll take good care of it too.

Rcairncross76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I have no sympathy for you. You paid $500 for a device without researching it enough to realise it isn't what you wanted.

OP
Kingsmuse

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In response to Apples unveiling of iCloud, Lion, & iOS 5 this week I thought I`d update my first review of the Ipad 1.

Here were my complaints now appended in light of the Keynote.

1;
IPad can`t stand alone.
The fact that it needs the support of another computer to even boot up at first start up is a big disadvantage.

It seems iCloud has fixed this problem and after iOS 5 all iOS devices will become stand alone computers.
Very nice.

2;Lack of a file manager.
This is a deal breaker, I can create files (sometimes) I can view files,(sometimes) I can even save files but I can`t manipulate them.
I can`t put them where I want when I want without additional apps to do so.

This one doesn`t look like it`s going to change for iOS devices.
In fact after hearing Steve Jobs talk about how they`ve spent the past 10 years trying to eliminate file management trees I felt lucky the finder still existed in Lion.

3;Can`t print
Again, must purchase additional apps to do the most basic of computer tasks.

With 3rd party software I`m able to turn my PC or laptop into a print server to print wirelessly from iOS devices.
Also, many more printers are being made with Airplay capabilities built in.
While far from perfect it`s a workable solution.

4;Can`t attach a file in e-mail. WTF?
I cannot think of a more simplistic basic computer task than attaching a file to an e-mail yet it can`t be done on this machine.
This is simply stupid.

Praise the gods above someone in Cupertino finally figured they didn`t want to take e-mail back 20 years!!
This has been fixed in iOS 5.
5;Ipad "Photos" app.
Need I say any more?
Oh wait! I can buy YET ANOTHER APP TO DO THAT!

The Photos app that comes standard has been upgraded in iOS so you can now organize your pics into different folders that you can even create within the Photo app.
Again somebody fixed what was obviously broken.

6;File Transfer;
No simple way to get a file from another computer onto the iPad.
Put a USB port on the damn thing already…JESUS!!

Airdrop in lion seems to have beautifully fixed this problem with wireless file transfer.
The only easy solution prior was third party apps working through a web browser, far from ideal.
It wasn`t specifically noted that this feature works within iOS but I`m assuming it does and if not I`m sure some smart developer will quickly see the benefits to coming up with a nice App that does.
Not to mention iCloud itself will eventually make this problem obsolete.

Now that iCloud, iOS 5, and Lion are here Apples mobile hardware finally seems able to work to it`s full potential.

Who is always saying Apple never releases anything before they get it right?
Just kidding.

Well done Apple.

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get something; give something. Always a price to pay for features. I researched the iPad and knew there would be limitations. Bought it anyway for what it COULD do.

I understand O/P's frustration about images and file handling. I share them. But I knew from the get-go there would be potholes on the road to nirvana.

O/P should make himself happy: sell the iPad and get a netbook. A well-researched netbook!

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an iPad for all my asinine tomfoolery going about the internet. The laptop is the serious work machine. If you can't afford both, get a laptop.

My ipad is like the little roadster you take out for a Sunday drive. You're not going to go grocery shopping in it day to day, and if you complain about your sports cars mileage, or the fact that it doesn't have enough torque to haul a boat, well that seems bit silly, doesn't it?

I'll admit, I bought it hoping it would be a netbook replacement. But that hasn't panned out. Off I go next week to get a school computer. I'm not upset, I'm just...well, cash strapped. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts