What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My NetZero Hotspot Thoughts

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My wife takes a 1 hour train ride to work in Dallas, TX each morning and 1 hour back to Denton, TX each evening. I'm paying $30/month for her hotspot on her phone. She uses about 300-500MB per month on her phone. Half of which is using it as a hotspot.

So while watching YouTube the other day, they had a 5 second commercial that I had to suffer through and so far, I'm glad I did. Back in 2000 I had a NetZero account as my dial-up service because it costs me $0 but it added an ad banner to my browser.

Now they have a 4G hotspot for $0 per month with no contracts, and more importantly, no ads. Yes, you have to pay for the device up front, but as long as you stay under 200MB, you pay nothing. They have other plans as well, but to just carry around with you in-case you actually need the Internet, so far it seems like a great device. Of course their network is limited, so you'll have to go to their site and see if they have coverage in your area. I used it today while waiting for Discount Tire to fix a problem I was having. Speeds on my iPad were awesome, or at least better than I had anticipated. I had 9.5Mbs down and 1.9Mbps up with a 120ms ping. Since I wasn't expecting much, I'm pretty happy with the results. Just my thoughts on the device. As long as it continues to work well, I'll be able to turn off her hotspot and save $30 per month. Who doesn't like saving money? :eek:

MEdwards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great deal if you live where it's offered. It's nowhere near me. It's not even in a few big cities like Detroit and Phoenix.

At least they have the courtesy to let you know their coverage area right up front. It's the first prominent button on their web page.

There's no mention of it dropping back to somebody's 3G network if 4G isn't available, so I guess it's not for me.

OP
Scottysize

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope. No 3G, so you have to be in a 4G area that they have contracted out. Ya, their coverage is limited.

Most reactions