What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad is a tank (survival story)

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm on vacation and staying at my sis-in-laws house. This morning, I'm walking down the stairs with iPad in hand and then the iPad gets knocked out of my hand and down it goes...cartwheeling down 8 wooden stairs with a couple extra cartwheels across the wooden floor.

Everyone present gasps but I am silent...too stunned to gasp.

I was hoping my thin Hard Candy Sleek case was enough to prevent any damage. Thankfully, everything is fine, no dents, the thing still works. Phew!

And this is after my husband scraped it the first day on vacation. He scraped it with his shoe so hard, that he made a ridge in the InvisibleShield screen protector! It took two days for the Invisibleshield to heal itself. I had to use a credit card to try to smooth out the 6 bubbles he left. He said I should have seen it before he tried to smooth it down, he said he got rid of the ridge...good thing I didn't see the ridge...the bubbles were hard enough to see!

We still have 1.5 weeks left on our vacation. How many lives does my iPad have left?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Makes me more confident in the Street Skin I've recently installed.

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on vacation and staying at my sis-in-laws house. This morning, I'm walking down the stairs with iPad in hand and then the iPad gets knocked out of my hand and down it goes...cartwheeling down 8 wooden stairs with a couple extra cartwheels across the wooden floor.

Everyone present gasps but I am silent...too stunned to gasp.

I was hoping my thin Hard Candy Sleek case was enough to prevent any damage. Thankfully, everything is fine, no dents, the thing still works. Phew!

And this is after my husband scraped it the first day on vacation. He scraped it with his shoe so hard, that he made a ridge in the InvisibleShield screen protector! It took two days for the Invisibleshield to heal itself. I had to use a credit card to try to smooth out the 6 bubbles he left. He said I should have seen it before he tried to smooth it down, he said he got rid of the ridge...good thing I didn't see the ridge...the bubbles were hard enough to see!

We still have 1.5 weeks left on our vacation. How many lives does my iPad have left?

Glad I live in a bungalow, now I just need to pull up the wooden floors :)

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had a similar incident with my iPad, but only about 3 steps down a tiled flight of stairs. Mine was in the Apple note book case at the time. It survived without any nicks or scars. I dont know how many lives these have but i think you and i both have one less. :p

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Subjecting your iPad to forces of this nature could be considered iPad Abuse. Maybe you should consider calling the iPad Abuse Hotline in Palo Alto and get some guidance.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Subjecting your iPad to forces of this nature could be considered iPad Abuse. Maybe you should consider calling the iPad Abuse Hotline in Palo Alto and get some guidance.

No... I think it is just exercising the accelerometer, the abuse hotline will tell you this is normal practice and is expected :p

ibgeorgeb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was sitting with my iPad Friday evening, set it down, forgot it, and went to dinner with my wife. I returned five hours later, remembered where I left it, went outside and retrieved it. Yep, it survived a drenching rain storm. Not quite a gully-washer but pretty dern close. These are hardy machines.

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stories like this make me realize that I may need a better case. I got the only one that Best Buy had at the time of the purchase. I will be doing some research into covers that's for sure. Glad all your ipads are still working!

OP
P

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think what helped prevent dents were the corner nubs on each corner of the Hard Candy Sleek case. The iPad kind of bounced higher (or at least it looked that way as I was watching it tumble in slo-mo) after each step that it cartwheeled down, so I assume it was hitting on those nubs, making it bounce.

In any case, I'm quite pleased with how my iPad and its' protective gear performed!

And I'm relieved to hear there are other hardy iPads out there. Lately I've only seen defective iPad posts here. Hardy iPads unite!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Be warned these events come in threes!

Still good to know it can take moderate damage.
While I actually prefer the bare look of the iPad I keep it in the apple case case in fear of incidents such as these.

Most reactions

Latest posts