What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My IPAD Died Last Night

devilpanduh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last night I was surfing around for Christmas presents when I flicked my finger across my IPAD screen it went black. So I did what any normal frustrated person would do.... I shook it like an etch a sketch. The screen stayed black. I plugged my IPAD into the wall charger and waited.

Two minutes later the screen was still black. I started to pout.... I called in my somewhat techincal husband and asked him to fix it. He promptly took my IPAD back to the wall charger and plugged it in and told me not to touch it for a while.... I continued to pout. Then I went online to look for a new one because I just knew my IPAD was dead.

I woke up this morning and reluctantly called Apple Technical support. After listining to a detached voice tell me I'd probably have to fork over $79 or $29 for help, I was actually connected to a live person. (Two thumbs up Apple!) We will call her Angel because she must be one. Afterall she helped bring my IPAD back from the dead.

Angel helped me do a "hard" reset on my IPAD which oddly enough did not include shaking my device. She asked me to hold the power button at the the top of my IPAD along with the circle/square button at the bottom of my IPAD screen. Its the button you use when you get tired of looking or playing with something.

Angel insisted that I hold them down at the same time. (I'm sure some wacky gamer thought of this process.) She said when the apple appears we would continue. Skeptical I thought "ya right... the apple."

But sure as sh!t a little apple appeared and then....my IPAD was back. I checked it, everything was back, it looked un harmed, i was so excited I started to cry.

I asked what had I done to my electric baby to make it so upset.

Angel showed me how to bring up my multitask bar and showed me how many applications I had running. I didn't even know I had a multitask bar.... you pull it up by hitting the circle / square button twice. I had over 20 applications running that I had thought shut down. Once I deleted them all I was OK.

I thought I should post this fix for any other non technical users out there. That love their IPAD as much as I love mine.
If it goes black don't assume all is lost.
Don't shake it, it doesn't help.
Don't give it to your kids to play with.
Don't use it as a tv tray for your dinner
And for the love of GOD do not bury it in the back yard!!!
Call Apple support first, my call was free but it could cost some $$$$ However it was worth it. Angels are there to help. :)

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love your post!! Certainly don't use for a TV tray!!!

Welcome to the Forum...

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good job devilpandah. It's good to know that all is well again. :)

OP
D

devilpanduh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes

Thanks for the support everyone!

Even though it was clearly "user error" that caused the problem. It was still scary.

I'm thankful for the happy ending.

patroche99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

My wife's IPAD had the same problem. As the "somewhat technical husband" she asked me to fix it. Thanks to your post, I looked like an Angel. Now can you tell me how to stop the apps from running that show up on the multitask bar?

CDSmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, for those of us who read the user's manual this is how to do it.

They didn't happen to tell you a photo of you screen is stored in iPhoto when you hold down the the round thingy button and press and release the power standby button, did they?

I learned about deleting the tasks on the quick launch bar the first time an AP repeatedly closed for no reason.

Apparently the OPSys has a register overflow problem that Apple either can't find or just don't care to look for.

Perhaps an enterprising AP builder will create something to clear the quick launch bar when you tap it's AP icon.

iPad 1, 32 Gbyte

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
When you bring up the multitask bar touch one of the apps and keep your finger on till they wobble, then press the 'x' to the top left and that should remove it from the task bar.

Hmm, it's the "-" symbol on mine......just sayin'

The Archangel

CDSmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad just died.

I ran the demo in iDesk Ap and at the end everything froze.

I had to use the reset hole next to the phone jack because the off switch had no effect.

iPad 1, 32 Gbyte

Most reactions

Latest posts