What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad 3 settings is nagging me to update to 5.1.1 how do I shut off this nag?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
His claim is based on complaints by users of older hardware. IE the iPad (1st Gen) will be slower than the iPad 2 and iPad (3rd Gen) with certain iOS 5 specific features. And most people logically accept that is just the way it is. Apple has to move forward to make progress.

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's nothing worse than a constipated iPad. Mine groans and clutches its screen. Very annoying!

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

GnomeGrrl wins funniest post of the hour. Check back later to see if she wins the funniest post of the day. ;)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GnomeGrrl said:
There's nothing worse than a constipated iPad. Mine groans and clutches its screen. Very annoying!

Have you tried muting the audio?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Can you produce any facts to back up your claim?

Only my own experience. I bought an original iPad just a few months after it was introduced, installed each iOS update when it came out, and watched my iPad slow down each time. Might not hold up in a court of law as totally objective, but it is the most convincing evidence for me.

Oh, yeah! I regret to say that I never thought to provide iPruneJuice!

Last edited:

ZeroCooL02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made the update, btw i,ve no intention to jailbreak my new ipad. I prefer receive update from apple. But it's my choice... ^^

Sent from my new ipad

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All reports from iPod2G indicate 5.1.1 is nearing JBreak release stage so update to 5.1.1 is risk free. (iClarified)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is probably a safe thing to say. However...

My recommendation always remains the same - do not upgrade your iOS on a "probably." If you are specifially waiting for a jail break before updating, always wait until the jail break is released. Always.

Yes, there is the new tool to downgrade to an older iOS, but the jail break community has said that there is no guarantee that will remain effective; it can get patched so that it no longer works.

I personally, am still going to wait to upgrade my iPad3 until I get the jail break "in my hot little hands." Of course and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

kirstenvn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok might be a stupid question as this is my first apple but what is jail brake

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

MrSerialX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.

If you're jailbroken, open Cydia, search for 'noOTA Badge' and install it. After it installs, your iPhone/iPad will respring and the badge should be gone.

I just did it and it worked perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kind of off topic but for those of us who are on 5.1.0 and DON'T have a Blob of 5.1.0, should we just go to 5.1.1 and save a blob because we will need a blob to refer to if crap hits the fan?

I'd rather stay on 5.1 then go to 5.1.1 and risk it, but if I don't have a safe backup to pull from I could be screwed right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of off topic but for those of us who are on 5.1.0 and DON'T have a Blob of 5.1.0, should we just go to 5.1.1 and save a blob because we will need a blob to refer to if crap hits the fan?

I'd rather stay on 5.1 then go to 5.1.1 and risk it, but if I don't have a safe backup to pull from I could be screwed right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Saving SHSH blobs is a completely separate process. You do not have to be running the iOS for which you want to save blobs, the only key is that Apple must be signing the verification window.

My recommendation to you, for now, is to download and run Tiny Umbrella today to save blobs for iOS 5.1.1, which is the only iOS that Apple is signing. And, make it a practice that for every time a new iOS is released, update your Tiny Umbrella to save the blobs for that version. Make this a habit.

Then, for now, hang in there, have patience and stay at iOS 5.1. Because...

A second general rule of thumb for jail breakers is: Don't upgrade your current iPad iOS until a jail break is actually released or until told to do so by a trusted member of the jail break community.

Marilyn

P.S. For those watching .... the first rule of thumb for jail breaking is: Never pay for a jailbreak; legitimate ones are free. :)

Most reactions