What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My internet is down

mlj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has been for two days. Will it hurt to use it tethered to my phone all day? I used it most of the day yesterday and dont want to over do it so att notices.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
they wont say anything, use all you want.

worst thing they would ever do is slow down your speed for the rest of the month if you suck up a ton of Gigs worth of data. But they dont even do that all of the time.

OP
M

mlj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I was just a little worried it would send up a red flag with all the extra use!!! Comcast sucks said it would be at least 24 hrs before anybody called me back to help!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Thanks for the reply! I was just a little worried it would send up a red flag with all the extra use!!! Comcast sucks said it would be at least 24 hrs before anybody called me back to help!

What issues are you having with your comcast internet? maybe I can help (comcast tech support is a joke)

Also If you want quick help from comcast the only way that seems to work is Posting a comment on twitter and mention @comcast. They have employees that monitor twitter and actualy have the power to get things done quickly.

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel you brother, Cox Cable is the biggest piece of shit here in town and they have a monopoly...so if you want high speed internet, you get to pay for their buggy, slow, unreliable internet that cuts out for anywhere from 5 minutes to a day at a time with absolutely no repercussions.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
If comcast actualy wants to send someone out to your house. keep track if they show up on time, if not they have an on time guarentee and will credit you $20

OP
M

mlj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My internet goes down off and on all day and been down for most of the last 2 days. They said someone would call, we'll see!

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been tethering my iPhone for a year now. I don't limit how much at a time (have downloaded almost a gig in one sitting). However I do try to keep under 5 gig total a month, just in case. But after a year, I've not had any problems with AT&T.

OP
M

mlj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
MLJ: has it been raining in your area? does the Internet cut out more when it rains? If thats the case it could be due to the cable outside your house has been cut or nicked and water is getting in.

Issue could also be due to a failing cable modem. and lastly (my issue) a failure on comcasts side at the main box that feeds the houses in your area.

You can actually log into your comcast cable modem over the lan. Get the IP for your cable modem and type it into your web browser. Under the modems status page it will show you its cable signal levels. Here is an idea for acceptable signal levels.

Downstream (Rx) Receive Power Level:
This is the amount of signal received by the modem from the transmitter in the cable company head-end.

For all modems:
-15 dBmV to +15 dBmV maximum.
-12 dBmV to +12 dBmV recommended.

0 dBmV is the "optimal" level.

Upstream (Tx) Transmit Power (a.k.a. Return Signal) level:
This is the amount of signal transmitted by the modem to reach the receiver in the cable company head-end.

+8 dBmV to +58 dBmV maximum for QPSK. (DOCSIS 1.x)
+8 dBmV to +55 dBmV maximum for 8 QAM and 16 QAM. (DOCSIS 1.x)
+8 dBmV to +54 dBmV maximum for 32 QAM and 64 QAM. (A-TDMA DOCSIS 2.0)
+8 dBmV to +53 dBmV maximum for S-CDMA DOCSIS 2.0 modulation rates.

Recommended upstream signal levels are +35 dBmV to +52 dBmV.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts